289 Exhaust Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: 289 Exhaust Questions

Can I leave out the heat riser and still have the exhaust pipe fit? The carb has an electric choke so I figure I'd just leave it out if possible.

Also is there a decent set of dual pipes available at a reasonible cost?

'56 289 in a '53 Commander

Thanks

Hi Rich,check your pm.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

You can get a blank spacer from Dave Thibeault...or make a cardboard template of the head pipe flange and take it to a muffler shop, explain what you're doing and get 2 blank flanges and 3 gaskets to fill the space. If you bolt the exhaust up without filling the space the pipe may bind somewhere. If you have a single exhaust with a crossover, you risk damaging the Y-pipe without the filler or at minimum, not sealing correctly.....
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Or you can use the body of the heat riser valve. Remove the mechanism and weld the two holes where the flap was pivoted, and insert it as the spacer.

Comment

Originally posted by whacker View Post
          Or you can use the body of the heat riser valve. Remove the mechanism and weld the two holes where the flap was pivoted, and insert it as the spacer.
          That was going to be the plan but the flange has a crack in it.

If anybody has an old one they dont need I would be interested in it. Thanks

Comment

They are easy to weld.
            For my '53, I just torched out the butterfly and bolted the unit in. You still see the weight & springs... but no workee and little blockage (turbulance is good, right?)!

Comment

I cant use the old one it's cracked too bad and not worth welding. Still looking for one if anyone has one they want to get rid of.

Comment

Working...
              X