PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: 53 gas tank vent?

johnod
07-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Is there a vent on the gas tank?
I don't recall seeing one.
The car smells of gas, as soon as you enter garage thats what you smell, so wondering if I might have a vent problem.

ddub
07-22-2012, 02:10 AM
I think the cap may be vented, not sure.

avantilover
07-22-2012, 03:25 AM
According to the latest Studebaker International Catalog (Gas Caps pg 183) all models from 1928-58 are vented (Item# 523821). They also list a vented locking cap (Item #800948).

Captain Billy
07-22-2012, 04:51 AM
John....you may be suffering from the common aliment of "leaky sending unit".

If you smell gas and have checked all the visible locations....it may be on the top of the tank

Remove the inspection plate and have a peek.

As a matter of fact....I will be installing new washers and screws this week myself.

Bill

Tom B
07-22-2012, 09:54 AM
I will be installing new washers and screws this week myself.

I had the same trouble with a 60 lark. I thought the tank was leaking, when I'd fill it gas ran out past the dried, wrinkled cork gasket.

Replace the gasket, screws and washers, before trying more drastic measures.

rockne10
07-22-2012, 10:09 PM
It's a non-pressure cap so, the cap itself is the vent. There is no separate vent for the tank, as there is in the later Larks. If you are smelling fuel, it's a leak somewhere; not a pressure/vent issue.

johnod
07-22-2012, 10:20 PM
I will be installing new washers and screws this week myself.

I had the asem trouble with a 60 lark. I thought the tank was leaking, when I'd fill it gas ran out past the dried, wrinkled cork gasket.

Replace the gasket, screws and washers, before trying more drastic measures.

Who carries these parts, i don't see them in the sdi catalog?

parts
01-20-2013, 02:26 AM
I know it's an old thread..but exactly what I am experiencing.. Top passenger side small leak. I was going to look in Shop manual for sending unit location..

I am assuming..top passenger side ?
How often an occurance ? Perhaps Arizona heat and dry climate makes this more often.

I'll check in manual for inspection plate. Can the work be done through plate or drop the tank ? Looks like a simple drop if must be..

fpstude
01-20-2013, 08:32 AM
I'm pretty sure the float is located on the drivers side top, toward the front, in the '53. I know it is on the '50, '60 and '63. Complete access to the float is available through a plate in the trunk floor.

Welcome
01-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Often misunderstood; the correct gas tank filler cap for your Stude is NOT truly vented to atmosphere!!!

However, per the Studebaker Engineering specification the venting mechanism in the cap is required to 'begin to open' (vent to atmosphere) between .75 and 1.5 P.S.I. internal pressure. IF …you are smelling gasoline vapors coming from the gas cap …and there is no internal pressure …then your cap is defective!:eek:

Good Luck!!!:!:

johnod
01-20-2013, 09:44 AM
I found a leak ,it turned out not to be the gas cap.
Previously tho I did get a smell from the sending unit cover, I made a new cork gasket and used a good sealer to solve that.
You don't want to use anything that will turn to goo with the gas contact.

parts
01-29-2013, 01:14 AM
I found mine also..the mount on pass side is leaking at the weld..:(

Small leak about a quarter size spot a day.. But need to pull what looks like a nice clean tank and have it fixed..

warrlaw1
01-29-2013, 10:15 AM
I drove a spike right through the centre of my gas cap and vented it myself. No more problems.