PDA

View Full Version : Interior: Which of these is correct Steering Wheel center emblem for Golden Hawk??

bsrosell
07-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Hi,
I have a 57 Golden Hawk, and was trying to upgrade my stress-cracked Steering Wheel center emblem ("horn button"). Two reputable Studebaker people both sold me NOS 'button's, (I bought the 2nd one a few weeks later because I hadn't noticed the difference, and the 1st button had some tarnish on the 'hawk' inside so thought I would resell that one and keep the nicer of the two.
But when I pulled out my original (or what came on the car?), big difference. White background vs the gold background. For some reason, I recall a guy at the Intl meet last year telling me the gold colored button is for the Packard Hawk. But, both of these guys sold me the gold buttons as NOS Golden Hawk buttons. None of them have boxes so I don't have part numbers to reference.
But figured you guys would know.
Thanks!
Barry

Jim B PEI
07-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Try this:
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/75531952/26476933_DONE08Aug_BUTTONS_all

see pictures for 13, 14 and 15. Your buttons are 57 golden, and 2 58 Golden. The Packard Hawk is different again

Bob Kabchef--he's the man!

Swiss-Goldenhawk
07-22-2012, 04:39 AM
The horn emblem on the far left side is the same as on my 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk. I agree with Jim.

bsrosell
07-22-2012, 08:05 AM
thanks for taking time to post that; very interesting, and I was not an SDC member in 2008 so don't have that article.
I was pretty sure it was the white one, but when two people who sell a lot of Stude parts say it is NOS for a Golden Hawk (and I am sure they were just not aware, both are very honest people) it made me think maybe MINE could have been replaced. And it DOES seem kind of logical the 'gold' colored ones would have been on the Golden Hawk, doesn't it? :)
Well, keep looking I guess.

SN-60
07-22-2012, 08:18 AM
The horn button with the gold background is possibly the correct one for a '58 Packard Hawk, but if I owned a '57 Golden and had one of those 'all gold buttons' on the shelf,.......it wouldn't be on the shelf very long!