Both of us feeling our oats !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both of us feeling our oats !

Had to pick up a load of stone this morning,for a project at my Mother's.so naturally I jump in the 63 8E12 and head to the gravel yard,on the scale twice "and wow I hauled just a hair over 1 ton". not sure how true this is,but would like to say it road like a Caddy <G>,just another Stude a pullin.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Hey Joe! Missed you @ the zone meet; too bad you didn't come. Karl was in rare form at the dinner! I don't know about your E12, but I can drive over a dime with mine and tell you if its heads or tails!
    Rob
    sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
    1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
    1959 4E2 4spd, TT
    1963 8E28 GSA order
    1963 8E5 SOLD!
    1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
      Had to pick up a load of stone this morning,for a project at my Mother's.so naturally I jump in the 63 8E12 and head to the gravel yard,on the scale twice "and wow I hauled just a hair over 1 ton". not sure how true this is,but would like to say it road like a Caddy <G>,just another Stude a pullin.
      Sounds like fun Joe. I used to love taking my old 2R to the quarry back in the 70's for a load of crushed stone. The payloader driver would just shake his head as I kept motioning for him to keep pouring as I watched the leaf springs and have him stop just before they hit the bumpers. JS
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Yeah, my old 8E12 would haul one heck of a load when colled upon. I was given a 57 Commander once that had sunk to the axles. I hooked a towbar to the Champ and the Commander and put the truck's 5-spd in granny low. Eased out on the clutch - got the rear wheels to turnin' and then got out and pushed on the Commander until it decided to move. Ran back up and jumped in the cab.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ya Bob,I was sad not to go "though my Daughter has activities this Summer,and only happen once" I can just see Karl all wound up <G>
          Originally posted by Bish View Post
          Hey Joe! Missed you @ the zone meet; too bad you didn't come. Karl was in rare form at the dinner! I don't know about your E12, but I can drive over a dime with mine and tell you if its heads or tails!
          Rob
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Jim,I know what you mean about the look thing!I told the Girl at the scale window good thing I brought the Studebaker today.she thought that was quite the deal,turns out the fella loading me lives in my town and knows the truck "he also now knows what it will do for it's keep"
            Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
            Sounds like fun Joe. I used to love taking my old 2R to the quarry back in the 70's for a load of crushed stone. The payloader driver would just shake his head as I kept motioning for him to keep pouring as I watched the leaf springs and have him stop just before they hit the bumpers. JS
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Bob,I really like your story much better.nothing like liveing life on the edge <GGG> now if I'd try that for sure I'd trip or something and then ????????
              Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
              Yeah, my old 8E12 would haul one heck of a load when colled upon. I was given a 57 Commander once that had sunk to the axles. I hooked a towbar to the Champ and the Commander and put the truck's 5-spd in granny low. Eased out on the clutch - got the rear wheels to turnin' and then got out and pushed on the Commander until it decided to move. Ran back up and jumped in the cab.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

But...everyone knows the old Studebakers (and International pickups!) were really work trucks, not play trucks. The ride quality didn't start getting anywhere near acceptable unless you had at least half a ton on board. I think that's why they were really called "half-tons" <ggg>

I remember the old pre-Forum story of someone who kept filling up their big old Studebaker pickup with junk for the dump until the springs were about the hit the bumpers, thought it was a bit poor on acceleration etc on the trip there. It was only on the scales that it was discovered that he had been a bit too enthusiastic because he was hauling well more than a ton and a half in the bed!

Comment

Working...
                X