Where is first gear !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is first gear !

Thursday I Went to "Clean Air Colorado" Parker test station to get my emissions test on the '60 Champ. The manager proceeded to stick the key in half way, bend it at a 90 degree angle and then complain that it wouldn't start! I expressed my disgust at what he did whereupon he denied doing it. Excuse me ! I drove it to the door and he alone had control of the vehicle after that.

Fail !!! Made some adjustments and went to the South Holly station to avoid that minimum wage genius.

As per routine I drove the Champ to the entrance and turned it over to CAC. After a few minutes this 20 something dolly who seemed to be in charge of this branch came into the waiting bull pen to get me. We go out to the truck and she asks me the profound question, "Where is first gear!" We had a rather pointed discussion that this wasn't the proper occasion to learn how to drive a stick shift. After more discussion, I moved it to position!

Passed !! I can hardly wait for next year!

This is about the third post in the last few days that makes me really appreciate where I live!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

So, What did you do to get it to pass?

Comment

I have no idea what their overkill, unnecessary, bureaucracy there does, but why would she need it in 1 st. Do they run them on a Dyno? Or was it rolling away?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

WOW.........an emissions test on a 1960 vehicle............SCARY!!

Comment

when I had regular Pa. plates on my bone stock '55 1/2 ton champ engined truck, and had to get it emission tested every year. It passed, and passed so well that my mechanic, who's a 32 Nash restorer [ another story] had me spend some hours with him and hooked every questionable cars info into the machine, and hooked the sensors into my truck. They all 'passed' that day

Comment

Originally posted by ceecab View Post
              /Cut/had me spend some hours with him and hooked every questionable cars info into the machine, and hooked the sensors into my truck. They all 'passed' that day
              That's funny! With a "clean" vehicle to test, no problem!

That reminds me of the time in Calif. back when Studes. needed to be checked, I just gave them the paperwork for the "questionable" '63 Stude. and let them test a "clean" '64 Stude. People from other Countrys usually do not know the difference.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                This is about the third post in the last few days that makes me really appreciate where I live!
                I was thinking the same thing! Oklahoma doesn't even do emissions test on new cars, and a few years ago we eliminated annual vehicle inspections all together, because that's what the people wanted! I remember a time when other states did what the people wanted.

Joe
                sigpic

1962 Daytona
                1964 Cruiser
                And a few others

Comment

God bless Nebraska and our lack of emissions test requirements.
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Wow! I am surprized that here in granola-land it's easier than there. We have emissions testing every 2 years, & thats on vehicles from 1975 & newer, so all my Stude's (& other orphan cars) are exempt. On the newer cars with OBD2 the test station hooks up directly to the vehicle & sees what the vehicle computer is registering. This way (so I'm told) there isnt an cheating with another vehicle to pass. It also reads any history so if you have had some sort of flash-drive to increase performance, it sees that history. Our test is done on a dyno except for AWD vehicles.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The EPA did establish emissions standards for pre-66 vehicles, but the states with pollution problems can still exempt older vehicles if they can show that testing them is not worth the effort. See TW January 1998 page 26. They can also exempt all vehicles with historic plates on the same basis. But in no case should vehicles older than 1981 be required to take the I/M 240 test on a dynamometer.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

I could have plated it with "horseless carriage plates" without an emissions test... but that would limit it to driving to shows and events. I have 4 x 8 foot sign for our next president on the back who due to political correctness I have been banned from naming here. However, to cruise highways and shopping centers in the Denver metro area and enjoy the 10 to one ratio of thumbs to middle fingers I have to register it as a truck and pass a minimal, non-dyno, emissions test..... 1000 PPM at both idle and 2500 RPM.

It was running so good that I had idle down around 400 RPM. All I did was increase rpm to 900 and lean out the jets to an extreme and idle dropped from 1400 PPM to 698 PPM. 2500 passed both times at around 790 PPM. It is quite impressive that a 50+ year old vehicle would still run that clean and keep up with everyone else leaving stop lights.

Comment

Well, when I was out in LA, I bought an Avanti & sold the same Avanti and it passed a smog test, both times with a seized engine! <G>
                          I know nothing!!

Jim
                          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                          their Memorials!

Comment

Here in GA we let people know where we are going as they can follow the cloud of smoke...
                            Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                            Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                            Lizella, GA

Comment

Which can also be helpful with the eradication of the mosquito population.
                              Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
                              Here in GA we let people know where we are going as they can follow the cloud of smoke...
                              Frank van Doorn
                              Omaha, Ne.
                              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                              X