PDA

View Full Version : OHV idle speed.

sumf
07-21-2007, 03:07 AM
The Commander (1964) engine is hunting at idle, at a frequency of about 1 to 2 seconds.
[Fifty years ago my (Navy) EN3 training book suggested changing the oil in the governor. I dare not do that - Arnie could beat the living crap out of me with just his eyelashes!]

Soooo, anyone got any ideas?

Karl

chocolate turkey
07-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Might check for a vacuum leak at the intake manifold. Seen that a couple times on those engines. The carburetor is a known source of trouble on those as well. K.I.S.S. and check the basics first.

Brian K. Curtis

r1lark
07-21-2007, 10:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by sumf

The Commander (1964) engine is hunting at idle, at a frequency of about 1 to 2 seconds.
[Fifty years ago my (Navy) EN3 training book suggested changing the oil in the governor. I dare not do that - Arnie could beat the living crap out of me with just his eyelashes!]

Soooo, anyone got any ideas?

Karl

I second what Brian said.

Have you hooked up a vacuum gauge to see what that may tell you?

Is the mixture adjusted correctly? Have you adjusted the valves lately?

My experience has been that these carbs only go about 6 to 7 years between 'rebuilds'. The metering rod diaphragm on mine is usually bad after this amount of time. My '64 Commander OHV 6 is due for a carb kit now.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

sumf
07-21-2007, 09:07 PM
I timed it through ten cycles, which took about 13 / 14 seonds.
The problem occurs only when hot, so that indicates that it is probably a vacuum leak. Will apply a wrench to the intake manifold when I get a chance to do so. (It's great living in a condo.

I'll get back with the results.

Thanks to all who responded via the forum or directly.

Karl