1947 Champion convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1947 Champion convertible

I just bought one this week needing a lot of repair. The plan is to repair its body and set it on a 4 dooe frame with engine and drivetrain. The convertible has overdrive, the 4 door frame does not. I am wondering what eveyone's experience is with overdrive on the champion with the standard 4.1 ratio. ie Should I change the rear end to the standard 4.55 or keep the 4.1 knowing I may use take it out of overdrive a bit more? It may be premature asking this as many moons will pass before I am driving down the road.

Regards

Neil

I converted my two 51 Champions to overdrive and left the 4.10 ratio rear end in both of them. Because of that, I now recommend installing the 4.56 rear ends. It's only 10% higher revs, but the engines seem to like it better.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy, thanks for the input. I see a S2 on that list - looks like a 47 Commander?
      Mine is a long ways away. In the meantime, I am very much enjoying the Avanti 63R1406.

Regards

Neil

Comment

17A-S2 is a 50 Commander convertible. Mine is the actual one on the cover of the Langworth book from 1993.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Hello Roy. Sorry you wern't able to make South Bend. I am just in my hotel room here packing up and thinking about the overdrive situation vs the rear axle ratio. Per the books i bought at the swap meet, the 47 came with 5.5x15 tires, which make the rpm's less than 5% apart when comparing a 4.56 OD car with 6.70 x 15 tires to one with 4.1 OD with 5.5 x 15 tires, What size do you run on your Champions?
          Thanks for the input.

Regards

Neil

Comment

Working...
          X