No announcement yet.

Question about what gas to use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Question about what gas to use.

I have a 1928 Dictator, six cylinder, and have been using 87 octane with lead additive from local parts store. Some have told me the lead additive is not necessary, but wondered if I should be using a higher octane, like 93. Would appreicate hearing from more than one or two voices. Thanks.

Back in 1928 when your vehicle was new gasoline octane was quite a bit lower than it is today so 87 octane is more than enough for your engine. It has a very low compression ratio because of the lower grade fuels back then. Using 93 octane will be of no additional benefit and could be detrimental to your pocketbook. The higher octanes are for use in high compression engines. It would be a good idea to keep using a lead additive however as you have been doing and use non- ethanol fuels where possible.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Leaded gasoline was not even sold until the mid-20's. You engine will probably run about the same on almost anything and was not designed with lead in mind. My 41 engine runs just fine on whatever I have dumped into it. I don't use any additives. I have used ethanol gas but every rubber part in my engine and carb has been replaced so the risk is low.

Comment

I get my Non-Ethanol Fuel at the farmer's Co-op.
        I have learned that Ethanol fuel slowly eats the rubber components in the system, and is somewhat Hydroscopic.
        Ethanol fuel seems to go bad earlier too...
        I've heard more bad than good about ethanol fuels...

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
          I get my Non-Ethanol Fuel at the farmer's Co-op.
          I have learned that Ethanol fuel slowly eats the rubber components in the system, and is somewhat Hydroscopic.
          Ethanol fuel seems to go bad earlier too...
          I've heard more bad than good about ethanol fuels...
          I just wish we had the option of pure gas where I live so I wouldn't have to mess with changing engine parts and such. Maybe someday soon the ethanol scam will end.
          sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
          Regal Deluxe Trim
          Automatic transmission
          46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Well, I would avoid gas from BP right now! <G>

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

That day will come only when:
              Politicians tell the truth
              The tax man understands that he has to leave you enough to live on, and to invest in the future
              You can add to this list, but we all can agree that only when we are in Gods heaven will things be idyllic
              Originally posted by deco_droid View Post
              I just wish we had the option of pure gas where I live so I wouldn't have to mess with changing engine parts and such. Maybe someday soon the ethanol scam will end.

Comment

Burt, I live in the middle of SC and we have two stations near me that sells ethanol free gas and leaded gas. Both are Shell stations but the one close to me is owned by an Indian and I will run out of gas before I'll buy from him. I like the leaded gas for my studebakers but I use ethanol free for my small engines.

Comment

I was told by an older gentleman many years ago that Union76 was named after the 76 octane they sold. Octane is the measure of the resistance of gasoline to ignite under pressure. The higer the rating, the higher the compression can be without pinging and dieseling. Our older engines would run better if we could get 76 octane. Lead was added as a cheap way to stabilize low quality gasoline. Neal
                  Last edited by Neal in NM; 09-07-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X