Six volt Defroster Motor Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six volt Defroster Motor Needed

55 President Coupe- Stock 6 volt. The rest of my defroster unit is good. Studebaker West doesn't have one, and S.I. wants to sell the whole unit rather than just a motor ($150.) I have a request in to Bob Helm too.
    I tried repairing mine. Works a while and then the ball bushing at the top begins to bind. I think the unit is tired and needs a proper burial. Even though the days are hot, and I don't need a defroster for several months, I have the dash disassembled for my re-wire job. This is sure the right time to replace that Motor.

I found several old forum postings on this subject, but none are recent. Any parts numbers of a correct unit that might be cross referenced at parts suppliers like Graingers, O'Reilly's, etc. in the event that Bob doesn't have one? Used OK, or sources for New? Any information appreciated.

OK, so a air cleaner bottom, a horn, a int light switch AND a defroster motor? Is that it? Check, check, check and check. What? I ain't quick enough for ya?
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

LOL Bob: You are doing right fine! Just anxious to get my rig on the road and sure don't want to take this #@$$%@! dashboard apart again. Thanks ♬

Comment

I want to replace the drive end bearing on the defroster motor from my '51. Can you tell me what you tried to do for yours. Did you replace the bearing?

The bronze bearing in mine just spins in its "case" and the whole rotor wobbles. I tried adding thrust washers to remove a llittle more of the endplay, but that just made it worse. I've found a few bearings which I could use to replace it, but each has its own drawbacks or installation headaches.

I'm just looking for any information I can glean from you to make a better choice.

Comment

Speaking of heaters, I have a complete Climatizer kit for a '51 that needs a home. Still new in the Studebaker box.

Comment

Hi Champ:

After spending a half day at the bench, my recommendation for your "Better Choice" would be to find a replacement unit. Studebaker International (Pg. 195 of their 2012 catalog) shows 519419P Defroster heater coil. 1947-58 car, all models & 1959-62 Hawk. ................ $53.00 ea. That is a stand-alone motor. Only reason I didn't go with S.I. was that the one for mine was only sold as a part of a $150 kit. Studebaker West offered to try to rebuild mine but they are going on vacation and soonest would be Mid-August, if it even could be fixed.

I'm guessing that maybe that little bearing/bushing thing is supposed to spin a little. It is held in place from the inside with little fingers (I think bout 6 of them or so), and there is felt above the bearing where the shaft comes out of the "Can". Have you opened the "Can"? If your bearing popped out to the inside, it is a real bitcxx to get back in place under those fingers. That bearing is exactly where I went wrong. Mine wobbled too. After reassembly with all wires shielded, brushes cleaned, armature cleaned, the motor ran well for about a minute. Then it began to run slower and slower. I disconnected the battery leads b4 I fried it completely. I guess I Flunked Defroster Motor Repair 101! Amazing how far those things will fly if you launch with the wire attached!

If you want to continue repairing yours, I bet someone like Garinger (SP?) would have that ball shaped bronze bushing/bearing if you can get the old one out for comparison. I am not sure how the bearing holder comes out of the can as a unit. If those little fingers get bent, the bearing will wobble guaranteed.

My "Studebaker Angel" is Roscomacaw (see above). I strongly recommend you try him first for a replacement unit! One of my "Feelers" just came in as a "FIND" also, while I was typing this. It appears that I now have two 6 volt motors, one from Roscomacaw and one available from Jerry in Marana, AZ. @ $30. I will only need one, so if Jerry's is the right one for your 51 car, send me a PM and I will give you contact info for Jerry.

If you want to continue repairing yours, I bet someone like Garinger (SP?) would have that ball shaped bronze bushing/bearing if you can get the old one out for comparison. I am not sure how the bearing holder comes out of the can as a unit. If those little fingers get bent, the bearing will wobble guaranteed.

C/B

Comment

MAtthew, George King of Oregon has been wanting a complete Climatizer for his 51. I don'tr remember you offering the NOS one - I would assume some ofd Tom's stuff. I may HAVE what George needs, but confess I can't identify the applications of what I still have here. Some pics of what youi've got (for a 51) would go a long way to help me feretting out what Geo. needs if he doesn't wanna pay for NOS.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X