49' Champion Master Cylinder Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 49' Champion Master Cylinder Help

I am getting ready to take off the master cylinder and rebuild it. Any advice on the rebuild of this? Also, is there a good way to check to see if the main lines are still good. I am replacing the old rubber for sure. I was thinking to check the mains is after rebuilding the master cylinder to start pumping fluid through the lines to see if anything shows up. But my main concern is I want to be sure that the brakes work all correctly on this because I know she runs and moves. I just want to be sure to be able to stop if any of the other parts of the car stop working correctly. Thanks for any knowledge you all can provide.

Also, I am going to have the drums turned. Is it ok to knock the wheel studs through the hubs to have them turned. They said they can't turn them with the hubs on them. Thought/input?

Comment

First of all consider not turning those drums unless they really need it; turned drums is lost metal.
      Second, if they must be turned there has to be an old time shop in Jeff and surrounds that has the lathe/knowhow to do the job without removing the hubs.

Comment

Honestly they really aren't that bad. I just figured that it would be good to have some fresh metal. They aren't groved or anything.

Comment

Even IF they are grooved! the shoes will wear into them! Not the best way, but as stated, if you turn them, you loose metal. I think there was a post the other day about a drum that separated from the hub, because the drum was turned to thin.
          If you need new hoses, i can fix you up with very fresh ones! All brake hoses are date coded! look at the dates on the hose.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

The drums are smooth. There is no grove. They ain't rusted or pitted or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by aj86 View Post
              Also, is there a good way to check to see if the main lines are still good.
              Sure; take a good look at them and, if you wouldn't want your son or daughter driving it, replace them all. It's really about the cheapest insurance you can buy for the most important system on the vehicle. Think how much better you will sleep.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
              X