PDA

View Full Version : Body: '63 Avanti Auxiliary Battery Support

WCP
07-18-2012, 12:21 PM
In response to a previous post regarding fender apron fracture or cracking from battery weight, this picture will show an auxiliary brace mounted on the frame at the forward frame bumper stay bolt. The right angle support is rubber padded at the top and fabricated from 1/8" steel. Since the support contacts the apron at a battery surface depression, the depression is levelled on top with a piece of auto tire tread.
For anyone that drives their Avanti more than just around the block, I highly recommend this addition to take the battery weight off the fender apron. I have repaired fractured battery battery supports on fairly early Avantis, as well as very late ones. No Avanti is immune to this problem.

tomnoller
07-18-2012, 02:35 PM
That is a great idea! My battery is mounted front, right and the apron wiggles more than I would like, getting close to the alternator.
I will do this fabrication! Thanks, WCP!

gordr
07-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Or simply get an Optima battery, and a nice box, and mount it in the trunk.
Get the battery out of that hot engine compartment, and it will live longer.
With the battery out of the way, the engine may cool a little better.
Moving that weight from front to rear will make it steer easier, and handle a touch better.

prez55
07-18-2012, 03:24 PM
WCP Thanks for the pix. Really like simple solutions.

Captain Billy
07-18-2012, 07:53 PM
What happened Bill....wakeup under the car again?

Hawklover
07-25-2012, 05:21 PM
But then an already small trunk would become even smaller:-(
Or simply get an Optima battery, and a nice box, and mount it in the trunk.
Get the battery out of that hot engine compartment, and it will live longer.
With the battery out of the way, the engine may cool a little better.
Moving that weight from front to rear will make it steer easier, and handle a touch better.

Hawklover
07-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Too funny!
What happened Bill....wakeup under the car again?

Hawklover
07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Indeed we have one on our '64
In response to a previous post regarding fender apron fracture or cracking from battery weight, this picture will show an auxiliary brace mounted on the frame at the forward frame bumper stay bolt. The right angle support is rubber padded at the top and fabricated from 1/8" steel. Since the support contacts the apron at a battery surface depression, the depression is levelled on top with a piece of auto tire tread.
For anyone that drives their Avanti more than just around the block, I highly recommend this addition to take the battery weight off the fender apron. I have repaired fractured battery battery supports on fairly early Avantis, as well as very late ones. No Avanti is immune to this problem.

Hawklover
07-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Jon Myer sells one for the '63 and for the '64 Avantis.

WCP
07-25-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm not keen on the idea of placing a battery in the trunk of an Avanti, for the simple reason that in a rear-end collision, the battery can be pushed into the fuel tank compartment. There is not much resistance in collapsing the rear of the Avanti. I suspect that the spare tire would go under the axle, the tire cover up and thru the rear window, and what's in the trunk into the fuel tank. I also feel strongly about a 3rd brake light in these cars (if you drive them much).

SN-60
07-25-2012, 09:43 PM
To: WCP,---------Sorry, but I have to disagree with You. A trunk mounted battery, installed properly, makes a nice Avanti even nicer. And more importantly....I don't think anyone should be driving around worried that
there car might be rear-ended. That's probably the best way for something like that to happen!! I definitely do agree that a third brake light in the rear window is a 'must' on any Avanti not so equipped......points deducted
at the shows or not!

WCP
07-26-2012, 12:43 PM
We'll agree to disagree!

Gunslinger
07-26-2012, 01:55 PM
I was rear ended once in the '63 Avanti I used to own...low speed though. I had a bent license plate and mount...the other guy had a pretty badly demolished grille. As I said, it was low speed (I was stopped, he didn't), and the way his bumper went underneath mine made for no bumper-to-bumper contact.

SN-60
07-26-2012, 04:53 PM
To: WCP,-----I AGREE!!!!

wcortesi
02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
I love this solution, and am working on reproducing it. Mine does not have the the fiberglass support at the rear, for some reason. It's cracked and has been repaired in a fashion...
I'm thinking of using the back bolt and bracing it from there. Any reason this would not work as well to support the weight?

Alan
02-04-2013, 10:19 PM
wcp; I would hate to be in an accident that would do all the damage you talk about, but.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/artcloud/IMG_zpsb829a4e9.jpg