PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: constant drain on the battery

billjharris
07-17-2012, 04:47 PM
I have an electrical problem that I cannot seem to find, with a test lite in series with battery -It burns the bulb of a test lite quite brightly, any suggestions as to the things I might check.

this problem is on a 1963 Hawk with a 289 engine, I converted the altinator over to a gm type with the internal regulator.can someone point me in the right direction to find this problem.

RadioRoy
07-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Did the problem appear when you made the conversion? If so, then something you did/changed caused the problem. Did you remove the old regulator when the new alternator was installed?

Look at the exciter wiring. Does it have a diode in series with it?

billjharris
07-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the reply Roy,I think I will go back to square one and re-check everything I did thus far.

gordr
07-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Well, you have commenced the diagnosis, now you have to complete it. With the test lamp connected as described, and glimming away, start pulling fuses, or disconnecting feed wires to various circuits, and note when the lamp goes out. The last circuit disconnected contains the cause of the current drain.

Since you just installed a new alternator, disconnecting the hot wire from the alternator would be an obvious place to start.

studegary
07-18-2012, 02:30 PM
A common cause of drain is stuck points in a clock that haven't caused the fuse to blow.