Studebakers in NASCAR Tuesday, July 31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers in NASCAR Tuesday, July 31

'Just another reminder, in its own thread, of Bob Coolidge's up-coming, excellent, Studebakers in NASCAR presentation during the SDC International Meet. Tuesday afternoon, July 31, in the cool, comfortable Studebaker National Museum auditorium.

Starting time is 1:00 PM sharp, per Bob's post below!

'Got this e-mail from Bob this morning (Tuesday, July 17), so it looks like he's ready to go:

Good Morning, Bob: Well, only two weeks until the big event! Thank you for your ongoing commercials about the Stock Car Racing presentation.

In a Power Point program, each frame is called a slide. (You probably know that). Anyway I have a little over 300 slides in the presentation.

I have included several with text covering qualifying speeds and finishing order etc. I recall at [2004 SDC International Meet] Charlotte, there were some questions about this and I do not have all of that information memorized.

We do not have to spend a lot of time on those details but to me they make the presentation more complete.

What do you think?

Well, Bob; I think it's gonna' be a Dy-No-Mite presentation, and 'am loking forward to it. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 07-17-2012, 07:20 AM. Reason: added starting time
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Studebakers In NASCAR

Bob: Thank you. The presentation will consist of the following sections:
    Studebakers in NASCAR-Strictly Stock and Grand National Divisions 1949 through 1962.
    Studebaker Modified race cars both on the Beach and at Daytona International Speedway 1950's-1966
    Studebaker participation in the Flying Mile/Measured Mile events on the Beach-Mid 1950's.
    Hollman-Moody Studebaker Larks @ Sebring, Lime Rock, and Daytona International Speedway 1959-1961.
    Studebakers in AAA/USAC/ARCA stock car events 1951 through 1966.
    We will need to begin right on time at 1:00 pm in order to cover the material.
    I believe the presentation will be of interest to all from a historical standpoint.
    sigpicBob Coolidge
    DeLand, FL

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      'Just another reminder, in its own thread, of Bob Coolidge's up-coming, excellent, Studebakers in NASCAR presentation during the SDC International Meet. Tuesday afternoon, July 31, in the cool, comfortable Studebaker National Museum auditorium.

Starting time is 1:00 PM sharp, per Bob's post below!

'Got this e-mail from Bob this morning (Tuesday, July 17), so it looks like he's ready to go:

Good Morning, Bob: Well, only two weeks until the big event! Thank you for your ongoing commercials about the Stock Car Racing presentation.

In a Power Point program, each frame is called a slide. (You probably know that). Anyway I have a little over 300 slides in the presentation.

I have included several with text covering qualifying speeds and finishing order etc. I recall at [2004 SDC International Meet] Charlotte, there were some questions about this and I do not have all of that information memorized.

We do not have to spend a lot of time on those details but to me they make the presentation more complete.

What do you think?

Well, Bob; I think it's gonna' be a Dy-No-Mite presentation, and 'am loking forward to it. BP
      When Bob Coolidge and I were together in Daytona this past winter, we discussed many of the points he will have in his presentation. This is a must-see event for all SDC members who have even a tiny bit of interest in Studebaker autosport competition.
      Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by trnstrtrk View Post
        Bob: Thank you. The presentation will consist of the following sections:
        Hollman-Moody Studebaker Larks @ Sebring, Lime Rock, and Daytona International Speedway 1959-1961.
        In 1999, I interviewed Jocko Maggiacomo. He and his father prepped the Larks for the Petite LeMans at Lime Rock at their speed shop in Poughkeepsie, NY and were at the Lime Rock track for the racing. I got quite a bit of first hand information and pictures. I sent everything off to the Editor of Turning Wheels at that time. Since then, the speed shop has buned down (opened in 1946, IIRC) and I image that all of this type of thing is now gone.

I watched Jocko Sr. prep his stock cars at his Speed Shop in the 1950s. Jocko Sr. gave me in car instructions on the proper way to drive a Jaguar sports car (XK 120M). Jocko Jr. got all the way up to NASCAR Cup Series (he is the one that accidently T-boned Allison at Pocono).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Please, somebody video this
          Jim
          Often in error, never in doubt
          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Gentlemen (and Ladies):

Bob Coolidge has requested that his presentation NOT be taped or recorded. He stresses that there is no monetary issue here, because he isn't getting paid anything anyway!

However, he has made a modest career of researching and assembling Studebakers in NASCAR material and does not want his presentation to be circulated with his having no control, input, or anything else over where it may be used in the future.

Given the possibilities over the internet and such, I believe Bob's wishes are appropriate and should be honored. After all, it is his material.

He adds that he would be happy, going forward, "to personally present this wherever I might be invited for nothing more than travel costs" and, "Frankly, I am not expecting there to be many requests for additional presentations; I think the audience for this subject is not large. I am not interested in having a confrontation with anyone, but am firmly opposed to my presentation being taped or recorded."

Bob Coolidge is a genuinely nice guy and a dedicated Studebaker enthusiast and researcher/historian. So for those of us who can attend July 31, let's enjoy the show and honor Bob's request that, "What happens in South Bend stays in South Bend."

Thanks. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

When I went to the races with a small Cup team in the late 80's I would ask the older drivers and owners if thay ever raced a Studebaker. Some said thay raced a Studebaker but never any in Winston Cup. Now a Charlotte company Holman Moody built Larks for road racing 59-60. Thay still have ALL the paperwork thay generated. Payment was thru NY add agency due to racing ban by manufactures. Thay had the canceled checks from paying the drivers. I reall wanted the check to "Fireball Roberts" for racing the Lark.
              Jack White
              Charlotte,NC
              North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Bummer, I'm coming up on Wed thru Sat.
                Jim
                Often in error, never in doubt
                http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
                  Bummer, I'm coming up on Wed thru Sat.
                  Thanks for being understanding, Jim; obviously, Bob's request had nothing to do with you personally.

'Looking forward to getting caught up Wed-Sat. BP

Comment

Working...
                  X