X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Informal Poll: Your favorite year Lark , & photos

Informal Poll Question:
    What is your favorite ("favourite" for our U.K. and Ozzie friends) year of the Studebaker Lark?

1963 for me. We had one through all my growing up years. A four-door Custom, I believe (stainless steel window frame/door pillars/whatever they were).

I can tell by the answers below that preferences run the gamut. That's good, otherwise we'd all be fighting for the same Lark when it came up for sale.

UPDATE: Now that so many have posted their favorite Lark year (and in many cases, model) please indulge us further and edit your post to include an image of a Lark of the year/model you spoke fondly of, so we can all appreciate it. Since I like 1963, I found this very appealing 2-door hardtop on the web. I'm linking straight to someone's image, rather than copying their image to my web host. If it disappears soon, oh well, this topic thread may be forgotten before long, too.

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

For obvious reasons, a 1964.
    Dan Miller

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

For obvious reasons, a 1964.
      Dan Miller

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
      Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

'59 for me. My first Studebaker was a '58 hardtop.
        Joe Roberts
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

'59 for me. My first Studebaker was a '58 hardtop.
          Joe Roberts
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

'62, for sure. '64 a close second. I like the dash in the '61-62 cars the best of any sedan or Lark type, but the '62 gets the edge over the '61 (barely) because the longer trunk makes the car look better proportioned. And, of course, you couldn't get a 4-speed in a '61. '64 I like the crisp front end styling but the rear is a bit awkward. Don't like the dash as well as 61-62 either, but the hole for a tach makes up for it. And, of course, R1 and R2 power were only available in '63 and '64 so that's a big plus.

Actually the proposed raising of the rear bumper for the '67 model year would have done a LOT to overcome my objections to the rear end styling.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

'62, for sure. '64 a close second. I like the dash in the '61-62 cars the best of any sedan or Lark type, but the '62 gets the edge over the '61 (barely) because the longer trunk makes the car look better proportioned. And, of course, you couldn't get a 4-speed in a '61. '64 I like the crisp front end styling but the rear is a bit awkward. Don't like the dash as well as 61-62 either, but the hole for a tach makes up for it. And, of course, R1 and R2 power were only available in '63 and '64 so that's a big plus.

Actually the proposed raising of the rear bumper for the '67 model year would have done a LOT to overcome my objections to the rear end styling.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I like our 60 ragtop. I lust after 52Hawk's 4dr on ebay but I can't buy another Stude now.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I like our 60 ragtop. I lust after 52Hawk's 4dr on ebay but I can't buy another Stude now.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

1959. Cute as a button [8D]. A real milestone car for Studebaker and the entire US auto industry. 1st choice would be a 2 door wagon...2nd choice a 4 door C-dan. 6 OD for me.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

1959. Cute as a button [8D]. A real milestone car for Studebaker and the entire US auto industry. 1st choice would be a 2 door wagon...2nd choice a 4 door C-dan. 6 OD for me.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Has to be the 60 2dr , that could be why i own one
                        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Has to be the 60 2dr , that could be why i own one
                          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I still have a soft spot in my heart for the '61 Larks. The '61s had a lot of firsts- suspended pedals, cowl air intake, counter-balanced hood (no prop to worry about), clever ohv six, first year for 289s in Larks (Cruisers), etc. My first new car and first Studebaker was a '61 Cruiser in Autumn Haze. It was a great, reliable, comfortable car. We had many adventures in that car. I was between duty stations and bought the car at Don Schmidt Motors in Wichita. We left a couple days later for Rhode Island with fewer than 200 miles on the car. Second day we drove all day in a blinding snowstorm across Missouri on old Route 66. I had bought chains in Joplin, but never put them on. We had most all our worldly good in the car and I had good traction. Fortunately no one else was on the road and my biggest problem was stopping every few miles to clear the snow from the wipers. We got the car its 1000-mile service in Ohio then went on to RI with no problems.
                            The next change of station was interesting too. Our first son was overdue by three weeks. I had already been detached and was due at my next station 1600 miles away on 9/24. Finally he chose to appear on 9/17. In those days they didn't release moms and babies the next day like they do now. Friday 9/21 was the soonest they would release them. So, I made up the Cruisers's right side reclining seat into a bed (Cruisers' 113 inch wheel base made it possible to lay the seat completely flat). I picked up the now-expanded family and started for the new station. With the bed/seat she could sit up in the back or lie down, whichever she felt like. We got to the next station on Sunday 9/23 and I checked in the next morning as ordered. This old black and white photo which is also poorly scanned shows the car on arrival at the new home.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                            Museum R-4 engine
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I still have a soft spot in my heart for the '61 Larks. The '61s had a lot of firsts- suspended pedals, cowl air intake, counter-balanced hood (no prop to worry about), clever ohv six, first year for 289s in Larks (Cruisers), etc. My first new car and first Studebaker was a '61 Cruiser in Autumn Haze. It was a great, reliable, comfortable car. We had many adventures in that car. I was between duty stations and bought the car at Don Schmidt Motors in Wichita. We left a couple days later for Rhode Island with fewer than 200 miles on the car. Second day we drove all day in a blinding snowstorm across Missouri on old Route 66. I had bought chains in Joplin, but never put them on. We had most all our worldly good in the car and I had good traction. Fortunately no one else was on the road and my biggest problem was stopping every few miles to clear the snow from the wipers. We got the car its 1000-mile service in Ohio then went on to RI with no problems.
                              The next change of station was interesting too. Our first son was overdue by three weeks. I had already been detached and was due at my next station 1600 miles away on 9/24. Finally he chose to appear on 9/17. In those days they didn't release moms and babies the next day like they do now. Friday 9/21 was the soonest they would release them. So, I made up the Cruisers's right side reclining seat into a bed (Cruisers' 113 inch wheel base made it possible to lay the seat completely flat). I picked up the now-expanded family and started for the new station. With the bed/seat she could sit up in the back or lie down, whichever she felt like. We got to the next station on Sunday 9/23 and I checked in the next morning as ordered. This old black and white photo which is also poorly scanned shows the car on arrival at the new home.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
                              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                              Museum R-4 engine
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X