PDA

View Full Version : Steering power steering

prez55
07-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Replaced pump pressure hose on 63 Avanti. Filled with dexron. With front wheels in air it took several lock to lock to bleed air out. Several times the wheels shook violently. Put on ground and tried turning wheels and wheels would shake violently and the belt on pump would start to slip even thou it was tight. Have always been able to bleed them out after a couple of lock to locks. Opened lid on pump with running and it was definately pumping. Any ideas . Thanks David

41 Frank
07-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Maybe the fluid got aerated while trying to bleed the air out. Try letting it sit for a while, most likely it will probably work fine then.

jackb
07-17-2012, 05:32 PM
if you replaced or removed the 2 hoses on the power cylinder, and they are on backwards.....you'll get the shakes

1962larksedan
07-17-2012, 08:44 PM
if you replaced or removed the 2 hoses on the power cylinder, and they are on backwards.....you'll get the shakes

You're 100% right: been there, done that on a 1970's Ford Granada with similar linkage assist power steering in which I had the two little hoses reversed.

studeski
07-18-2012, 09:04 AM
A piece of dirt likely got in the control valve. Start it up and shut it off a couple times it should go away.

studebaker-R2-4-me
07-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Replaced pump pressure hose on 63 Avanti. Filled with dexron. With front wheels in air it took several lock to lock to bleed air out. Several times the wheels shook violently. Put on ground and tried turning wheels and wheels would shake violently and the belt on pump would start to slip even thou it was tight. Have always been able to bleed them out after a couple of lock to locks. Opened lid on pump with running and it was definately pumping. Any ideas . Thanks David

I replaced the pressure hose on my Hawk a month ago and got less than a 100 miles out of it before it blew off crimped fitting by the pump. The Hawk's cab filled with smoke, the 6 lane highway was filled with smoke, I thought I blew a engine rod, or lost the hose to the oil pressure gauge but the gauges were good. When I got home I found it was the new hose. Should have left the old one on the car.

My friend purchased the hose from SI in South Bend in May and I picked it up at his place late at night a couple of weeks later. I asked him if he had the receipt but he could only find the VISA transaction. With SI's return policy I am sure I am out the $45 bucks for another crappy hose. I'm bringing the broken hose to South Bend in a couple of weeks to see if they will replace it.

Allen

studebaker-R2-4-me
07-18-2012, 12:47 PM
I might add that the broken hose also caused my pump to seize. In hind sight I just figured the hose broke at the actuator valve which has happened so many times before, leaving the reservoir with some fluid in it and able to drive the short distance home. Not this time. So I am out in my shop again today changing the pump with a spare that was reserved for my Lark's PS conversion.

At this point I doubt that I will convert to power steering in the Lark. It's been too much trouble in my Hawk

Allen