PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: Looking for picture of both sides of the fuse holder in a 63-66 Lark

Bullet
07-15-2012, 05:36 PM
I am tryinhg to add a Mitsuba four way hazard flasher to my 64 Cruiser before we head off in 10 days to the International. It says I need to cut the wire from the "L" side of the flasher to break the connection and route through the 4 way flasher unit otherwise damage will occur. So I am looking for a picture of how the turn signal flasher connects are on the back side of the fuse board that is holding it.

Does someone have a picture? Or have you installed this flasher unit on a Lark before?

Thanks

Mark

BobPalma
07-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Mark: "L" in Turn Signal parlance means Load; i.e., the flasher terminal that goes to the bulb(s) being illuminated.

The other terminal is called "P" to denote the Power (in your case, 12 volts "hot") going into the flasher from the turn signal switch when the switch is activated, Power to be passed through the flasher's make/break circuitry to the Load.

You've probably noticed that most ordinary turn signal flashers don't have the two terminals identified which is Power and which is Load. In fact, I just checked 4 such flashers, all different brands, and none of the terminals are marked.

So, what you must do is determine which terminal is Power. Then, logically, you'll know that the other terminal is Load; the one you're looking for.

To figure that out:

1. Start your Cruiser's engine so you'll have plenty of electrical power. Set the parking brake so the car won't take off if you accidentally knock it out of Park while doing the following:

2. Flip the turn signal lever one way or another to verify that the signals are working correctly.

3. While either side is flashing, pull the flasher unit out of the fuse block. Of course, they'll stop flashing, but leave the turn signal lever in the "should-be-flashing" position.

4. Take a test light or V-O-M and test the two terminals on the fuse block. One of them should be "hot," which would be the terminal supplying Power to the flasher.

5. Once you've identified which terminal on the fuse block is Hot (Power), you know the other terminal on the fuse block is Load.

6. Observe which flasher terminal goes to the Load terminal on the fuse block when you plug the flasher back in. That tells you which flasher terminal is "L," which is what you want to know to proceed, from what I understand.

BP

Bullet
07-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks Bob that helps alot. I was unsure what the P and L were they were talking about. Knowing that, however, they want me to cut the wire from the L and connect the resulting two wires to their two wires, escentially re-routing the electricty through their unit and thus letting them control the flashers or turn signals and complete the installation. Does this wire to cut exist on the other side of the fuse holder, or is it not as sophisticated as I am thinking (printed circuit board)?

Thanks

Mark

gohdes
07-16-2012, 12:45 AM
If I am reading the Wiring Diagram in the shop manual correctly, it lists a green with white tracer wire as "Directional signal flasher P terminal to Directional indicator lamp", and a black wire as "Directional switch to directional flasher L terminal. Maybe this will help you find it.

(I've been staring at it all day doing my wiring)

studegary
07-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Would it help to get the instructions for the factory optional four way flasher system? They must come in the package or maybe the shop manual shows them. Of course, this leads to the question - Why not just use the factory accessory four way flasher?

BobPalma
07-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks Bob that helps alot. I was unsure what the P and L were they were talking about. Knowing that, however, they want me to cut the wire from the L and connect the resulting two wires to their two wires, escentially re-routing the electricty through their unit and thus letting them control the flashers or turn signals and complete the installation. Does this wire to cut exist on the other side of the fuse holder, or is it not as sophisticated as I am thinking (printed circuit board)?

Thanks. Mark

Mark: You're welcome.

I wouldn't cut any of the car's wiring to do what they want you to do, because you don't have to.

What I would do is this:

1. Make up two wires like this to, in effect, extend the flasher unit away from the fuse block a few inches. Use heavy wire and crimp the connections well:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/BobPalma/DSCF3418.jpg

2. Plug the appropriate leads into the flasher unit and the fuse block.

3. Check to make sure the flashers still work OK with the flasher unit now in a slightly "remote" location.

4. When you have identified which lead is Load, you can cut that lead (the applicable Load lead one from the two you just made up) somewhere between the fuse block and the flasher unit and follow their directions from that point on.

5. "All the above" avoids your having to disturb the car's original wiring harness; always risky on an older vehicle if everything is working OK.

6. (If you understand "all the above" sufficiently, you could simplify things by running the new Load wire from the fuse block to their flasher and a second wire from their flasher to your existing flasher's Load terminal.)

BP

Bullet
07-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Bob you showed exactly wht I was thinking of doing with the extra wire. This would eliminate the cutting of anyhting and make it alot easier on me. :-) Thanks for all the help!

Gary, I was reading the parts manual last night and found what I think you are referring to. t is called a flarestat kit AC-3508. Never heard of it before. The one I purchased was off ebay and the seller claimed it was the one that was recommended by dealers for the Avanti. It was new in the box with all the basic instructions. So I got as close as I could to the factory one. Do you happen to have a picture of the factory one?

Thanks all

See you in South Bend in a couple weeks..........with my Lagunna Cruiser!

Mark