PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: 51 Champion master cylinder

okc63avanti
07-15-2012, 03:42 PM
My 51 Shop Manual illustration just shows the master cylinder along side the frame rail it doesn't illustrate where the access cover is located. Before I go removing door sills and lifting carpet could someone please tell me where the access cover is located?

My brakes take a pump or two to feel good and brake firmly so I'm thinking it needs to be bleed, also the rear lights aren't coming on when the brakes are applied so I'm thinking loose wires or a bad stop light swithch. I've installed new correct bulbs and the tail lights are working.

Thanks, John

mbstude
07-15-2012, 04:38 PM
You guessed it, it's under the carpet. There'll be a little round metal cover over the hole in the floor.

BobGlasscock
07-15-2012, 04:40 PM
If it is the same as the '50, the access is in the floor exactly above the master cylinder. The original floor mat will be cut for the circular cover. If the car has been recarpeted with no cut-out, you'll have to pull the covering back to find the lid. Then cut a hole in the covering or not, up to you. Really simple any way you pick. The light issue might be caused by gunk in the mc, so taking it off the frame and cleaning the whole thing might be a good idea. Or, at least, take out the switch and clean just that.

bezhawk
07-15-2012, 04:44 PM
There should be a rubber cover that screws down over the hole. Many people don't like the look, and put a later metal cover over the hole, under the carpet.
It's a p.i.t.a. to remove sill plates, and fold back the carpeting .
The brake light switch should be located just in front of the steering box, on a brass junction bolted to the frame.

9echo
07-15-2012, 06:14 PM
okc63avanti
I am not sure if the 1948 fill opening is the same as your car, but these photos show the position of the brake fill opening on my Champion 5 pass coupe. I believe it is as it was from the factory.

My rubber floor mat is so hard that it shatters when I bend it. There is good fiber matting under the floor mat, but I need to find good rubber floor mat.

okc63avanti
07-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Thanks everyone .... it's appreciated.