Reclining split bench seat options for 1959

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclining split bench seat options for 1959

The other day i was reading through a bunch of random books and some Turning Wheels and saw what i think was this, but lost the book marked page as we were driving around. Still new to studes i didn't think much of it at the time, but now cant find anything on it.
    I think it read but ive been known to be wrong. the new option for 1959 Silver Hawk model and only this years model, is that the front seat fold all the way down, making a bed out of the entire front and rear seats.
    Does anyone have pix or any info. I will still try to find that article, its here somewhere.
    USASTUDE

Originally posted by Rocket442 View Post
    The other day i was reading through a bunch of random books and some Turning Wheels and saw what i think was this, but lost the book marked page as we were driving around. Still new to studes i didn't think much of it at the time, but now cant find anything on it.
    I think it read but ive been known to be wrong. the new option for 1959 Silver Hawk model and only this years model, is that the front seat fold all the way down, making a bed out of the entire front and rear seats.
    Does anyone have pix or any info. I will still try to find that article, its here somewhere.
    Split reclining seats were first offered by Studebaker in 1959, but they were available on all models, not just Hawks. I don't know about Hawks, but none of the Larks had enough room between the seats to allow the front to lie flat. When 113-inch wheelbase Larks came on the scene the reclining front could lie flat, but the bed was anything, but flat. In 1962 I drove 1500 miles with my wife fresh out of the hospital with a new baby and I made the passenger side of our '61 Lark Cruiser in to a bed so she could either lie down or sit up in the back. Use of pillows in the odd spots made it work nicely.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I believe it was offered on Hawks, I've seen a photo of that option in use... Somewhere. I know it was a Hawk because of the interior and roof line. The original idea was that of E.T. Reynolds.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

i once owned a 60 Hawk with that option. I think it laid all the way down but the seat had to be all the way forward.
        Neil Thornton

Comment

I had a 59 Silver Hawk with reclining seats but I can't remember if the back folded all the way down until it was flat with the rear cushion but I think it did. I know you could recline the passenger side down where it was comfortable to sleep and we did that often when travelling but I can't swear it would fully recline.

Comment

We have had several cars and all of the seats went flat. (although the back seat cushion had to have some pillows on it because it went downhill.)
            At least a 61 hawk, a 63 GT and a 64 Commander. I know, because we went camping in them, and I slept in them all.
            The battery has to be disconnected at night though - the neighbours get upset when you honk the horn with your feet or turn the headlights on!

Comment

I was lucky enough in the mid 70s to own a '59 2dr HT Lark VIII 2-speed auto with the optional 4V Carb and dual exhaust. One of the nicest features was the dual bench seat that fully reclined. Great to take to drive-ins when I was 18 years old...:-)
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

In the early 60s I had a Silver Hawk that had the reclining bench seat and yes it was great at the drive in. Rumor got around the high school girls quick..... couldn't get a date if you paid for it!! Still it was a neat car. If i'm not mistaken, AMC offerd the reclining seats on their cars.

Dan Miller
                Auburn, GA

Comment

I have a '60 four door V8 Lark that has been off the road for about 16 years. It has the split recliner bench seat. It was a great car for driving to college football games. Getting to the game hours before kickoff and finding a parking spot in the shade...the recliners were great and a big conversation piece for the crowd unfamiliar with Studebaker.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Ah-ha finally here it is, found it in a borrowed Motorbooks International, Studebaker book. The 2nd pic is a 1960 Hawk. Now the question is does anyone have one for sale close to me here in FL???
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	1342901522528.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1674896Click image for larger version

Name:	1342903690258.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1674895
                    Attached Files
                    USASTUDE

Comment

One came up on last week Ebay for a whopping $438. the seller refused my $300 offer lol. plus the seat needs to be reupholstered.
                      He recently relisted & upped his price to $513. So i sent him an lower offer.
                      My question is can the other split bench be Easily modified to lay flat.
                      Also what are these split benches worth as i haven't seen any others for sale yet.
                      I would just go with the buckets but have to many kids to haul.

USASTUDE

Comment

That seems to be a little on the steep end. They are not quite that rare. If it had the original upholstery, then that would be a little different.

The Keystone Chapter's raffle car is a 1960 Hawk with the recliners. An original letter from the dealer showing what the car was equipped with is included - those seats were a $59 dollar option - something like $460 in today's dollars.

Comment

The driver's side reclining seat in my 59 Lark 4 door would never stay in the most upright position. It was always one or two notches reclined. I never drove sitting fully back against the seat. I didn't know about SASCO back then (1966) so I just lived with it.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket442 View Post
                            One came up on last week Ebay for a whopping $438. the seller refused my $300 offer lol. plus the seat needs to be reupholstered.
                            He recently relisted & upped his price to $513. So i sent him an lower offer.
                            My question is can the other split bench be Easily modified to lay flat.
                            Also what are these split benches worth as i haven't seen any others for sale yet.
                            I would just go with the buckets but have to many kids to haul.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251127868388...84.m1438.l2649
                            Now that the International is over and I am back home here in California I will be starting to take a 60 hawk a part and it has the split recliners, every thing on this car is for sale with the fins and lower air scoop all ready spoken for along with the power steering, here is a picture of the seats in the car redone in the past but still use able, some one has asked about them earlier so will need to check my PM on theses.

Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Working...
                            X