PDA

View Full Version : Leaks!

DWard
07-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Hello everyone!

I am rebuilding a champion 185 Studebaker flathead engine. It was leaking everywhere when I tore it down. I notice it has a 2 piece seal on the rear main. This may sound kinda funny, but I thought I'd ask it anyway. Will this engine ever stop leaking, even with new seals?-The 2 piece seal worries me, and the oil pan seals don't make me feel any better. Dan

DEEPNHOCK
07-20-2007, 09:26 AM
There are/were hundreds of millions of engines built that use this technology that have run a full service life.
You would be worrying for worrying sake.
Just make sure you follow the manufacturer's installation procedures to the letter and you will be fine. Usually, the rear main is offset from the parting line and is a tad longer than the half circle, to the tightening of the rear main cap actually compresses the rear main seal to prevent leakage.
Same thing with the gaskets.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by DWard

Hello everyone!

I am rebuilding a champion 185 Studebaker flathead engine. It was leaking everywhere when I tore it down. I notice it has a 2 piece seal on the rear main. This may sound kinda funny, but I thought I'd ask it anyway. Will this engine ever stop leaking, even with new seals?-The 2 piece seal worries me, and the oil pan seals don't make me feel any better. Dan

DWard
07-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Jeff----I have a tendancy to do that sometimes (worry over nothing). I must admit--I do like the sound of the little engine. I will take it to the engine shop Monday to be Cleaned & checked out---it is filthy inside. The pistons will have to go .060 over----they will not clean up at .040. Thanks---Dan