PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: gas smell

Deaf Mute
07-13-2012, 09:43 PM
When I put my '53 Commander coupe in the attached garage... MAN DOES ITSTINK UP THE PLACE with gas fumes.

I can find no leakage anywhere... and this time I drove it on Tuesday & ithas not run since... but still is stinking up the garage with a raw gasolinesmell. My Daughter's '57 Avanti powered pickup does the same.

I don't notice the fuel smell when they are in my shop... but that is a 40' X60' pole barn so it can dissipate easily.

Any ideas... short of leaving them out in the shop?

41 Frank
07-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Duane, Check again for pin holes in the fuel lines, cracked hoses, Leaking fuel sender gasket, etc. All my Studes do this but only for an hour or so after I shut them off in the garage and is due to the fuel in the carburator boiling over into the manifold after a hot shut down. These cars don't have a sealed fuel system like the modern cars so will have smelly issues especially with the low boiling point of todays fuels. The only car I have that does not smell is the R-2 in my 41 and it has the return line to the tank that would prevent residual pressure in the fuel line between the carb and fuel pump.

Deaf Mute
07-14-2012, 07:13 AM
All new lines & gaskets... but will run through it again. I just realized that my Avanti doesn't stink up the place either.
hummmmmmmmmmmmmm.
THANKS

mjeansonne
07-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Also, check the fuel tank seams (where the two halves are welded together). My Hawk always had a fresh gasoline smell but I couldn't find a leak until after I had filled it up and finally saw wet gasoline on the concrete floor. Though the tank had sealer already applied, the sealer didn't help the leakage at the seams, although initially it did. Ultimately though seapage begins again and you won't initially see it, just smell it.
I sent my tank off to Tank Re Nu. They did a great job, no more seapage or leakage.

skyway
07-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Pin holes on the top of the gas tank?

raoul5788
07-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Check the rubber filler tube.

Dan White
07-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Check the fuel pump. My Hudson had the same problem and it turned out the "new" gas with ethanol had softened the rubber and gaskets in the fuel pump and it seeped gas. Had to replace it with one with ethanol resistant seals.

Green53
07-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Mine was leaking at the sender. Fixed that and smell went away

Denny L

Deaf Mute
07-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Another club member suggested the new gasket at the sender may be at fault. Hopefully I can get the old out & cut a new out of better material tomorrow. BTW... Locally the BP has NO alcohol in their gasoline & I have the tank over half full of premium.
Thanks for all the suggestions; they WILL be followed up on.

Deaf Mute
07-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Here is a photo of what was left of the new gasket I had installed.... NO alcohol in the gas either.16354
I cut a new cork gasket. We will see if the smell soon goes away.
NO EXPLOSIONS YET!

41 Frank
07-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Man that is one nasty looking gasket Duane. Cork is still the best material to use there. Make sure and put some sealer on the screw threads when reassembling to keep fuel from wicking up the threads. Don't ask me how I know! I use Permatex Aviation Gasket Cement in the small container, comes with a brush in it.

Here is a photo of what was left of the new gasket I had installed.... NO alcohol in the gas either.16354
I cut a new cork gasket. We will see if the smell soon goes away.
NO EXPLOSIONS YET!

Jeff_H
07-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Looks like red/orange RTV silicone was put on the gasket?

I learned the hard way NEVER use that stuff were gasoline will get on it. The gas soaks into the RTV and swells it up into jelly. I put some on the sender screws in my '53 and the blobs of it came off the ends of the screws after the gas touched it and those where floating around in the tank until they got sucked into the intake line and clogged up my fuel filter.

raprice
07-17-2012, 04:58 PM
The fuel pump would be my first "suspect."
Rog

WCP
07-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Keep in mind that you will never totally remove the smell of gasoline due to the venting of the fuel system. If your garage is small or well sealed, then the normal expansion and contraction of the air in the fuel tank as ambient temperature changes, will pump out gas fumes. The more air in the tank, the worse this will be. Today's fuels do have an unpleasant and strong odour. As suggested, check for leaks, and if none, then open the door to air out the garage for a few minutes if it bothers you. I have 3 cars in a 1400 sq.ft shop that is quite well sealed. When entering, I get a whiff of fuel smell, but then I don't notice any more. There are no leaks in these vehicles - one is sealed and two are vented.

Deaf Mute
07-18-2012, 09:27 PM
No RTV used... it was some sort of a vinyl or rubber gasket that came with the sender (bought it several years ago getting ready for the restoration). Now I have a home-made cork gasket with soft Permitex on both sides & on the screw threads. Took it out for a drive today & it is back in the garage now... only slight fuel smell.
THANKS FOR GETTING ME ON THE RIGHT PATH.
Next stop... South Bend!