Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Studebaker and Avanti mention in Sept, Hemmings Classic Cars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Studebaker and Avanti mention in Sept, Hemmings Classic Cars...

...but not necessarily for common reasons. The full page story referencing the Avanti ("The Available Avanti") is about legal ownership and joint ownership of a car as it pertains to bankruptcy law. The Avanti is simply the vehicle being referenced...it could have been any collector car but just happened to be a '63 Avanti at issue. There's no real story about the car...its history or technical...nothing else.

The cover story on the magazine is about "Brand Champions"...the best selling models from each manufacturer. The best selling Studebaker is the 1950 Champion with 270,604 sold.

Bob Palma has a commentary in this issue but it's not about Studebakers...it's about carpet sweepers and Fords. Shame on you, Bob Palma!!!!
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

[QUOTE=Gunslinger;661948The cover story on the magazine is about "Brand Champions"...the best selling models from each manufacturer. The best selling Studebaker is the 1950 Champion with 270,604 sold.

Bob Palma has a commentary in this issue but it's not about Studebakers...it's about carpet sweepers and Fords. Shame on you, Bob Palma!!!! [/QUOTE]

See also, Bruce:

Whatever it Takes to Make a [fill the blank here] Deal topic!

('Hope you enjoyed it anyway!) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm sure being published helps to pay the bills.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
        I'm sure being published helps to pay the bills.
        That it does, Bruce, but that September column was kind of outside my general assignment to ask rhetorical questions and make people think about assorted collector-vehicle topics.

However, I told Editor Richard Lentinello about that item last October and he said to work it up for the column when I felt like it, that he thought it was a neat story.

So did I, obviously. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

All kidding aside, Forum Members, if you don't read anything else in the Sptember 2012 Hemmings Classic Car, please, please read Jim Richardson's column on the last page. I don't think anything more important, more insightful, has ever been published in that magazine, period.

It's more than a general admonition to "Take a Kid to a Car Show." Far more, for Jim well captures the reasons young men need to be around responsible older men while growing up.

BTDT as a kid: Palma-Rhoads Motors (Packard-Nash-Studebaker) was located on Central Avenue in Paris IL. Running parallel one block east of Central Avenue was Main Street. Both were busy streets because they framed alternate sides of the Town Square, in which was located The Edgar County [IL] Court House.

There was a small diner on Main Street. Getting to the diner for morning coffee or a short-order lunch involved walking east down the alley between Palma-Rhoads Motors and The Edgar County Jail. That walk down the alley got you from Central Avenue over to Main Street and the diner.

At age 10, I remember walking with Dad and Uncle Milt down that alley to the diner for their morning coffee several times during the spring and summer of 1956.

But I wondered, "They've got a coffee maker over at the garage, why do they come over here for coffee?" More to the point, "Geeze, what a waste of time; how come these guys aren't working?"

Later I came to know they were doing something of value while they drank their coffee and Uncle Milt added to the blue haze with yet another cigarette...but they weren't "working" in a way that I would understand until I was older...and besides, I got a doughnut and a milk or orange juice out of the deal, so all was well from my limited perspective.

Jim Richardson captures those mandatory times and moments perfectly, regardless of how or when they occur. Please read his column. It will be the most important thing you read in the September 2012 Hemmings Classic Car. (Then you can go back and read mine; it's "lighter.") BP

Comment

Those of you following this discussion of the September Hemmings Classic Car may enjoy the extra photos in Post #13 to this topic:

I posted them there because Ed Capozzi's (SN-60) remarks made them appropriate. BP

Comment

Working...
            X