Paint and paint issue....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint and paint issue....

Ok, I find myself coming very close to being ready to take the car in to paint....
    I have not found out what the original color was... I don't intend to keep it the same unless it is by pure chance.

Now, this subject has been brought up before and I have all 3 color sheets for Studebaker paint styles for 39 & 40.... and I have the color sheet titled "color styling for 1940 studebaker commander and president".... Thanks to other members here, so thank you very much!

Here is my problem.... 2 of my 40's are, for lack of better names... sour apple green.... it would seem that this is called Coleen Green, Light as far as I can tell. This perplexes me as this color is supposed to be "correct" for the make, model and year... yet none of the painting information I have amassed has that color on it specifically for the 40 commander/president? Am I missing somehting? Another color plate perhapse? Or is the color sheet with the 7 colors the correct and only sheet for the 40 commander and president?

I have opted to stick with one of the 7 colors on the one plate as I wish my color to be correct for the year.

Please chime in and let me know your thoughts. I am not understanding and am missing something I am sure.

thxs,
    Dan
    Last edited by new2drive; 07-13-2012, 10:51 AM. Reason: horrible typing skills....

Going to one of my favorite sources 'Auto Color Library', I gleaned the following info:
    There are two shades of Colleen Green for the 1939 and 1940 model years;Colleen Green Dark Poly, #40241
    and Colleen Green Light Poly,#40240 which is probably the one you're looking for.These are Ditzler numbers.
    If I am reading the data sheet correctly,the color you are referring to,Colleen Green Lt. Poly, Paint code HXH, Ditzler number 40240-DAL (lacquer) is indeed a Studebaker NON-Champion color.Champions have 8 colors from which to choose and only one green.Laurel Green.Non-Champions have 16 colors listed.Also, the Champion colors were available in enamels as well.I hope this helps.I'm getting a little googley-eyed jumping from screen to screen, plus my bifocals are in the car, but this is what I'm seeing.If there's any typos here, that's why. Hope this helps.

Comment

Yes, as rusty65 points out, it was a legit Commander/President color for 1940. It shows up on three different paint charts I have. It is also the color of my President Club Sedan as shown above. Note the "dark" color around the windows.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

And... if I remember correctly; it has a very fine metallic in it. A really pretty color!
        The darker shade on the fenders looks good as well.

Comment

Thanks!

That is a very pretty color. The color of both mine and the one I bought from Sam Ensley is really a muted green apple color though. My father in law says it is legit.... Sam says the color on his was legit... it is much more flat. I wonder if that is just how it looks in "flat" tones vs the car from Quinn's collection?

I think at this moment that I will be going wiht the darker clipper grey with a lighter clipper for th einterior. It seems to me though that most of the interriors I have seen are all cream colored.

It is pretty wxciting to actually be thinking about painting the car now... and the interrior... I thought I would never get this far.

Comment

New3drive.. We want pictures!

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

Yes, as rusty65 points out, it was a legit Commander/President color for 1940. It shows up on three different paint charts I have. It is also the color of my President Club Sedan as shown above. Note the "dark" color around the windows.
            Do you have two of those? I could've sworn that your Club Sedan was dark blue.

Comment

To: Studebaker Wheel,-----Your '40 Studebaker President Club Sedan is absolutely beautiful...I love the colors. A good Friend of Mine owned the '39 version of Your car for years. His car was a light tan color.

Comment

If you will check the dash and hidden corners of lthe car I delivered to you, I think you will find the original color was tulip cream. If that's not the name of the paint, it's identical to tulip cream.

Comment

Sam,
                  Thanks. That still surprises me! I hadn't notticed that... yet! I am just ever perplexed as I thought the 39 & 40 commander and president only came in the 7 colors listed on the Studebaker paint book. There were lots of other colors used for the Studes of 39-40, but all of my informations says 7 colors only for the president and commander for 39 & 40. is my information in the color spec book wrong? or is that color plate the list of the 7 colors supplied by that one company to Studebaker?

Oh, there will be pictures very soon of the vehicle itslef..

Comment

My 36 Dictator 2 dr was a two tone green metalic but not that bright. Posted a picture on the forum but I don't see that members post your picture anymore in the headings.
                    48 starlite Commander

32 Austin 7

Comment

Working...
                    X