PDA

View Full Version : generator help

psycho_666
07-19-2007, 11:06 PM
1955 studebaker commander
v8

so my buddy and i took off the generator because i had ordered a repair kit. and we're wondering HOW you get the bushing out so we can replace it with the new one!?

lau

gordr
07-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Assuming you mean the bronze bushing in the plate opposite the drive end, there are several strategies.

1. brute force: use a small sharp punch or chisel, and split the bushing down one or more sides, and remove it in pieces.

2. hydraulic force: find a piece of round shafting, same size as the and of the armature; fill the bushing cavity with grease, then place the shafting in the bushing and hammer it against the grease. The pressure should force the bushing out. This technique is used with pilot bushings.

3. find a threading tap that will cut a thread in the bushing; maybe 1/2" or 7/16". then find a small bearing ball or BB shot that will fit in the center hole found in the end of most taps. Drop the ball in the bushing cavity, screw the tap in until the ball is seated in the center hole, and continue turning the tap. The end of the tap will pivot on the ball, and the action of the threads will draw the bushing out of its seat.

Hope this helps.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Dick Steinkamp
07-20-2007, 12:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by gordr
...then find a small bearing ball or BB shot that will fit in the center hole...

Gord...the "Macgyver" of Studebakers [^]

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

psycho_666
07-20-2007, 12:21 AM
thank you!!!!!!!