Tolls coming from West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tolls coming from West

At what point coming across I-80 will I have to start paying tolls? And how much? I tried searching the web, but results were confusing because they started naming the roads instead of calling them I-80.

thanks

Pat
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

At the I80-I294 junction south of Chicago. Stay on I94 to the east side of Michigan City In., to exit 40. That is US20 east to South Bend. 4 lane all the way and no tolls. Jim

Comment

Pat, Driving east on I-80 south of Chicago, you will encounter a toll where 394 (Tri-state Tollway) joins I-80. IL is using I-Pass transponders for electronically paying tolls and have a drive through (EZ Pass) lanes on the left side where tolls are deducted without stopping. There are cash lanes on the right side where you need to stop wait in line to get to the toll booth to pay the toll. If you come across the IN Toll road instead of US 20, you will have to stop to get a ticket, then pay when when you get off at South Bend. If your state has the EZ pass type transponders, they are honored in IL, IN OH, NY and quite a few eastern states. The other states will debit the transponder account so you're not having to bring toll money. The IL toll is under a buck. I'm not sure what the IN Toll Road charges from the Western point to South Bend. I'm guessing around $5, but I have an I-Pass, so I don't worry about the toll amounts. As for other states, Iowa and Nebraska don't have tolls on I-80, which is as far west as I have gone on I-80. There is some construction on I-80 through IL that I drove through going to Ottawa IL today. I'm not sure if there is construction west of Ottawa or not. I will post if I find out what the toll amount on the IN Toll Road from West point to South Bend to give you an idea of tolls.
      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

You can calculate it using the Illinois Tollway virtual map....

An interactive, user-friendly map designed to assist customers in finding location-specific information.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Pat,
          Both are great suggestions! Get off on the exit DieselJim said. At the SR 2/US20 exit go straight following State Road 2. You will be greeted by the Proving Grounds a few miles down the road on the right. SR 2 becomes Western Avenue and goes straight into town. Have a safe trip.

Comment

I'm heading to South Bend from the other direction Pittsburgh,PA area. Any advice on alternatives to the 80 toll road?

Thanks,
            Randy
            Randy Ridenour
            Frostburg,MD
            1964 GT Hawk
            sigpic

Comment

I rarely use any toll roads. Coming from the east on I 80, I will have tolls in OH and IN. I thought about getting an Easy-Pass. I found out that there is a monthly charge for it. That is when I decided to just pay the tolls for this trip with oldfashioned cash.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Ridenour View Post
                I'm heading to South Bend from the other direction Pittsburgh,PA area. Any advice on alternatives to the 80 toll road?

Thanks,
                Randy
                Your other options are limited. You could take I-70 to Indy and then US-31 to South Bend, but it's really going out of your way and will probably tack at least an extra hour on to your already 6 hour drive.

Comment

FYI to the original poster, try to avoid going through the Chicagoland area between 7:00 and 9:00ish in the morning and 4:00 to 6:00 in the eve. on weekdays. You don't always get stuck in traffic, but the roads are crowded and it only takes one small incident to screw everything up.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. In any case it does not sound like very much when considered with the cost of the whole trip. We have toll bridges, but not many toll roads so I don't have a transponder.

Pat
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                    X