PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol-Free Gasoline in Indiana

BobPalma
07-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Another thread was started looking for ethanol-free gasoline when coming down from Canada for the SDC International Meet. It occurred to me that everyone driving a Studebaker to South Bend will be buying gasoline in Our Fair State one way or another, so I thought I'd post this research from last month and then identify the thread topic so everyone coming to Indiana in a couple weeks would notice it.

I just prepared this for our Indy Chapter SDC Brickyard Bulletin, but it applies to anyone traveling in Indiana this month:

Ethanol-Free Gasoline at SOME of Indiana's CountryMark Co-Op Gasoline Stations

With summertime driving upon us, many would like to locate ethanol-free gasoline for their Studebakers and other collector cars. I knew from talking around that SOME midwest-owned / midwest-refined CountryMark Co-Op gas stations marketed ethanol-free "pure" gasoline, and it has a 91 octane rating, too.

I just researched all 97 CountryMark Co-Op gas stations in Indiana and the immediately-surrounding markets and came up with seven (yes, only seven) who have ethanol-free, 91-octane gasoline readily available at the pump. One of them is in Lebanon IN, 20 miles from Brownsburg. So, this afternoon (Saturday, June 16), I drove my 1972 LeSabre Custom Convertible up to Lebanon and filled with ethanol-free 91 octane, as stated directly on the dispensing pump.

Ethanol has been shown to be detrimental to our car's fuel systems, and ethanol makes gasoline more subject to vapor lock. These are two good reasons to drive out of our way to find ethanol-free, 91-octane gasoline for our collector car(s). Further, CountryMark Co-Op states that all their fuels are refined from domestic crude, so you're not financing some U.S.-hating oil barron sheik in Upper Slobberoverya who is hanging us out to dry selling us crude oil.

Based on my research today, then, here are the seven CountryMark Co-Op gas stations in Indiana who have pure, ethanol-free, 91-octane, gasoline. In no particular order:

1. Noblesville: 16222 Allisonville Road

2. Greenfield: 230 West Osage Street

3. Lebanon: 817 West South Street (IN SR 32)

4. Liberty: 404 North Main Street

5. Bluffton: 705 West Market Street

6. Angola: 610 West Broad

7. Fremont: 707 South Wayne Street

Also, there is a new CountryMark Co-Op station scheduled to open in Greensburg at 1001 North Lincoln Street. However, the websiite does not indicate it will carry ethanol-free gasoline, so it would be a good idea for members in the southeast quadrant of the state to check there when it opens.

As you see, we cannot say, "Buy your gasoline at CountryMark Co-Op because it doesn't have ethanol in it," because that is generally not true. Even those above stations that offer 91-octane ethanol-free, still sell the "regular" 87-octane, 10% ethanol product that is the basic gasoline at their other stations.

And be prepared to pay for the pure gasoline privilege, too: The regular, 87-octane 10% ethanol at the Lebanon CountryMark where I filled up this afternoon was $3.61 per gallon. But the 91-octane ethanol-free I purchased was $4.09 per gallon...and the Buick's 25-gallon tank was really proud of how much it could hold. Oh, well, at least I'm assured the money is not going overseas, and by buying this gasoline and paying the premium, we are encouraging CountryMark Co-Op to continue marketing it. ;) BP

Kurt
07-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Wow to the premium.... Today's corn prices are approaching record highs, and crude oil is relatively cheap right now. The price should be the other way around. On a side note, I have access to one local gas station close to home that has regular pure gasoline. It usually has a .10 premium over ethanol blended fuel. I run it in my small engines and the 51. the Champ truck I recently purchased and the 66 don't really care what I put in them for fuel, so they get the cheaper blended stuff in the summer.

RadioRoy
07-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Lucky ducks! We haven't had pure gasoline in California for 20 years or so. No basements for toy trains either, but that's another forum. :)

orphanbiker
07-10-2012, 05:50 PM
I believe there is also a CountryMark Co-op ethanol-free station in Bainbridge outside of Danville on 36. Also, they use only US crude and from the Midwest when possible.

07-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Bob, there are also Co-Op stations up here, they just aren't called Countrymark. The Co-Op up here is called North Central. The two fueling stations that I'm aware of that MAY offer the fuels would be in Goshen on County Road 38, and in Logansport on 3rd St. Both of these do sell retail to non-Co-Op members at unattended, credit card only pumps. They may not offer all the same ethanol free products you have down there, but I'll try to check it out ASAP in Goshen. I didn't know about and don't know if retail product is available to the public at the Mishawaka location.

Some of the locations are pumps only available to Co-Op members, or only deliver in bulk to farmers.

Here's a link to the NCC fuel website, with a story about the refinery and pipeline, and locations:

http://ncc.coop/energy/liquid-fuels/

BobPalma
07-10-2012, 06:21 PM
I believe there is also a CountryMark Co-op ethanol-free station in Bainbridge outside of Danville on 36. Also, they use only US crude and from the Midwest when possible.

Hi, Eric. Yes, I'm familiar with that Bainbridge CountryMark; 'been there many times. However, they don't offer pure gasoline, per the CountryMark Locator website:

http://www.countrymarklocations.com/

If you open that link to Indiana, a little red bubble appears over every CountryMark location. Click on the bubble and it says what products are offered at that location, address, store hours, etc.

The Bainbridge location doesn't cite ethanol-free gasoline being available, as do the sites I listed last month.

However, people should check that from time to time.

I have it on good authority from a should-remain private conversation, that CountryMark is pleased with the acceptance of the ethanol-free product, and their surprise comes from the collector-car market seeking it and buying it! My source (not the guy at the counter, BTW), which I consider credible, says they planned it for farmers with older equipment, but were surprised when collector vehicles started showing up and buying it.

So there's hope that more of their locations will start carrying it.

It would thus be a good idea for forum browsers to check at the last minute before leaving for South Bend; more stations may have been added since my research a month ago, and it is easy to determine which stations have which products by using the link and procedure I described above, to reply to your post.

Are you coming through to The SDC 'National, Eric? Realtives or friends in Bainbridge? (It's not exaclty a destination!) ;) BP

BobPalma
07-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Bob, there are also Co-Op stations up here, they just aren't called Countrymark. The Co-Op up here is called North Central. The two fueling stations that I'm aware of that MAY offer the fuels would be in Goshen on County Road 38, and in Logansport on 3rd St. Both of these do sell retail to non-Co-Op members at unattended, credit card only pumps. They may not offer all the same ethanol free products you have down there, but I'll try to check it out ASAP in Goshen. I didn't know about and don't know if retail product is available to the public at the Mishawaka location.

Some of the locations are pumps only available to Co-Op members, or only deliver in bulk to farmers.

Here's a link to the NCC fuel website, with a story about the refinery and pipeline, and locations:

http://ncc.coop/energy/liquid-fuels/

Cool beans, Kevin; thanks. Let us know what you find out. BP

Corvanti
07-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Bob and all,

here's the puregas.org results for Indiana:
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=IN

and for Michigan:
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

totally agree to buy from US supplied resources whenever possible!!! :)

orphanbiker
07-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Sorry, I guess I misremembered about them being ethanol-free. As my handle implies, I like old and odd motorcycles. Besides having a good buddy who lives in Bainbridge, there is a guy, Rob Gibson, there who restores British motorcycles. He does good work. I grew up in Indiana and have a brother in Brownsburg.

Had hoped to drive the "rat rod" GH to South Bend, but with a stuck motor, and too little time to get it roadworthy, I'll shoot for next year...

JimC
07-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Non ethanol gas is definitely getting more scarce everywhere. Omaha still has lots of ethanol free pumps, but nothing like they used to. I either hit the local Sams Club or a chain owned by a local supermarket. If you're an Omaha local and do your grocery shopping at Bakers Supermarkets, a few of their store owned gas stations sell pure gas, and you can get a discount for groceries purchased through the month. We buy groceries for a household of 10, more than half being teenagers, which has resulted in times when gas has cost under $1.50 a gallon. Makes you want to buy a tanker! :D

07-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Bob

The Goshen location does not offer the 91 Octane product, so your list is trustworthy. Only 87 and 89. The 87 I filled up with did not spark knock in my Colorado like the previous tank of a competitor's 87 did, just FYI. I'm about 40 miles from that station.