Interchanging early and late bellcranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Interchanging early and late bellcranks

Does anyone know whether the steering bellcranks with bushings can be swapped for the bellcranks with bearings (if so, does the whole assembly need to be swapped or only the part that contains the bearings and bolts to the frame)? This question applies to '53 to '64 C/K cars.

THANKS!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

I have never found a Stude that had the bushings in it. Even my 63 Avanti (R2007) has the bearing type. I just buy a new pin and press in 3 new bearings 2 (B-1616) s' and one (B-1612 OH) . Then shim to approx. .003" to .004" end play.

Comment

Yes they are interchangable.
      However to swap bushings for bearings (or visa versa) you must exchange the entire unit, both pin and housing.
      Last edited by skyway; 07-10-2012, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks both of you for your help!
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
        X