PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: gas tank

gadman
07-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Hello Studebaker Brothers & Sisters, is there anything I can put in my old Stude truck gas tank to clean out the rust. The truck has been sitting inside my garage for 20 yrs.
Thanks!

warrlaw1
07-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Anything you put in there will get sucked through your filters. Gas Tank Renu solves the problem - for good.

Alan
07-09-2012, 04:35 PM
I remove the tanks and take them to a radiator shop and have them tanked. Shop up the street from me charges $35 to tank a tank. It runs $375 to $500 for Re-Nu. CASO in the first degree and proud of it.

mjeansonne
07-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Yep, Gas Tank Renu. Look at their website: gastankrenu.com Look them up and find an outlet near you. You can send the old tank via UPS. They also have a warranty. I have used a product from Bill Hirsch on many cars, but this time when I took the tank off the Hawk, I noticed it had already had a sealant put in it. Unfortunately it was leaking around the welded seam that put the two halves of the tank together. Sealer won't help. Sent my tank to Renu and they take the tank apart, sand blast it, spray a sealer inside, put the tank back together and spray sealer on the outside.

But I do have unused cans of rust remover, etcher and tank sealant I got from Bill Hirsch if you are interested in trying that first. Let me know.

gadman
07-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks to everyone for the tips I really appreciate it!!! The Gadman!

52 Ragtop
07-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Find a metal laundry near you, have them dip strip the tank, that will remove the paint and rust, inside & outside of the tank. Find a radiator shop, buy a sealer called "Red-Kote" seal up all the holes and pour in the whole quart. "slosh" it all around making sure that you get the Red-kote on all interior surfaces. pour out the excess and let it dry for at least 48 hours. prep & paint the tanks, install it and you'll never have anymore problems with that tank. Dip stripping (last time I did one) about $40, Red-Kote about $25. Or you can spend the 3-400 bucks for gas tank renew. IF your tank is in good shape and NOT full of holes, dip stripping & red-kote is the way to go. IF your tank is full of holes, gas tank renew.

Jim