1964 Pix Documenting a Studebaker Family Insanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Pix Documenting a Studebaker Family Insanity

'Ran across these 1964 photographs of cousin George D. Krem (age 22; bow tie) and Yours Truly (age 18). They were snapped by my Uncle, his Father George Krem (no middle name) circa February-May 1964. The location is a school parking lot behind their home in Roselle IL (a western Chicago suburb) on a deserted Sunday Morning.

I had driven my newly "restored" (such as a 16-year old would do it in 1963) 1955 Champion Regal Coupe up from Indianapolis for a visit.

Uncle George had his new (purchased January 29, 1964) 1964 R2/Powershift Super Hawk:

Cousin George owned the 1957 Silver Hawk in the middle. He had purchased the car used, in Indianapolis, on July 16, 1963, from Snider Auto Service, an authorized Studebaker dealer.

George did not know it at the time, but the 1957 Silver Hawk had been ordered new by none other than the famous Ted Harbit! Ted had traded the Silver Hawk to Snider Studebaker for one of the few (and since documented as such) 1957 Golden Hawk 400s. The 400 was a so-called "demo," having been driven by Virgil Snider's wife.

It was Ted's first new Studebaker after graduating from college. Small world, and it accounted for what George felt was an unusually-good clutch. Ted had ordered a heavy-duty clutch, but the provenance and clutch option were unknown to George when he bought the car.

For the record, George Dale and I are cousins because his Mother is my Father's older Sister.

Having different last names and not living in the same town, or even the same state, has served us well. We can interact with people, supporting each other's position on all matters Studebaker, and the recipient doesn't know he/she has been exposed to two monkeys swinging from different branches of the same [modestly unstable] automotive family tree.

We don't know what became of the Silver Hawk after George Dale traded it toward his new, now-famous Bermuda Brown 1964 Challenger V8 2-door in July of that year.

The Super Hawk was used up and rusted in two in normal suburban Chicago commuter use. However, its Serial Number plate, body tag, and title survive. It was a full-package Super Studebaker, but Uncle George had removed the grille badge because he thought it looked too "busy," like people remove the heavy lower grille emblem from 1958 Hawks. (EDIT: George discusses the Super Hawk further in Post #19, below.)

The Champion Regal Coupe survives in poor condition. It's still powered by the 1962 OHV Skybolt Six I put in it late in 1970. It's in a barn near Sheridan Indiana and has probably not run in 20+ years. I know the owner but have not seen the car since about 1972. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 07-11-2012, 03:02 AM. Reason: Ted & George confirmed details
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Which of those front ends (referring to the cars) looks the best?
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Am pretty sure it is not insanity - keep reminding my wife that it is a "fruitful and healthy" endeavor....

Out of curiosity, are you scanning photos or negatives? My Uncle bought a Nikon camera (I still have) in Japan in 1955 when stationed in Korea. He took a couple hundred slides that would be pretty cool to scan and save. Problem is, he passed away ten years ago so there is no one to point out what is in each photo.

Comment

Bob , that sure looks like George but you sure thats you ? <g>
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Those photos sure bring back memories, Bob. I bought Ted's '57 Silver Hawk after Bob and I discovered it on the Snider Studebaker used car lot the summer of 1963. It was really interesting to a young gearhead because we immediately determined that it had 289, WCFB four-barrel carb, 4.27 TT rear axle, and it was in good shape. As Bob said, I always felt the clutch was unusually HD for a stock 289. It cleared things up when we discovered that Ted had ordered it new with the HD clutch. Our Uncle Jerry had bought a new '57 Silver Hawk 289 with OD (3.92 axle ratio); that car's clutch didn't feel nearly as stiff and it slipped under high power after just a year or two.

I traded "Ted's" Silver Hawk in at Snider Studebaker on the new '64 Challenger 2-door, which later became known as the Plain Brown Wrapper. I had installed a complete McCulloch blower setup on the '57 Silver Hawk (removed from a '57 packard sedan), so I removed the blower and installed it on the original 289 engine in the Wrapper, along with an R1/R2 cam. (Who cares about the warranty?)

It's interesting to reflect that Ted Harbit has had a lot to do with both the Silver Hawk we both owned and the Wrapper that replaced it. Shortly after buying the Wrapper, I decided to save it and found a rusty Colonial Red 1960 4-door Lark six with three speed stick to beat around in.

George
          Last edited by R3 challenger; 07-09-2012, 10:23 AM.
          george krem

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
            Am pretty sure it is not insanity - keep reminding my wife that it is a "fruitful and healthy" endeavor....

Out of curiosity, are you scanning photos or negatives? My Uncle bought a Nikon camera (I still have) in Japan in 1955 when stationed in Korea. He took a couple hundred slides that would be pretty cool to scan and save. Problem is, he passed away ten years ago so there is no one to point out what is in each photo.
            What I have are prints that were made from slides years ago. I never had the slides or "negatives" ...because there weren't any negatives, of course.

Uncle George was an excellent, accomplished amateur photographer. We are fortunate that someone in the family (him) captured so many excellent images through the years. BP
            Last edited by BobPalma; 07-11-2012, 03:03 AM.
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
              Bob, that sure looks like George but you sure thats you? <g>
              Well, since this is a political season, I will say that it is me, "to the best of my memory." BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Well, since this is a political season, I will say that it is me, "to the best of my memory." BP
                .....but there's no beard. How could it be you? Great story here thanks for it and all the additions to it. A great read.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                  .....but there's no beard. How could it be you? Great story here thanks for it and all the additions to it. A great read.
                  You're welcome, Joe.

The beard arrived in summer 1979. I had taken a nasty, high-speed fall water skiing and racked up my back. 'Spent two weeks flat on my back in traction in the hospital, which did a world of good and allowed me to avoid back surgery.

'Also allowed my beard to grow out. At the end of two weeks, both 'wife and I liked it, so it's been around ever since....but that was 15 years after the OP pix were taken. BP

Comment

Thanks for posting these pictures.
                    It looks like wheelcovers for George D's 1957 on your 1955.
                    I remember George (Sr) as being a nice gentleman. Didn't he bring that 1964 to international meets, probably in the 1970s?
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Thanks for posting these pictures.
                      It looks like wheelcovers for George D's 1957 on your 1955.
                      I remember George (Sr) as being a nice gentleman. Didn't he bring that 1964 to international meets, probably in the 1970s?
                      Right, Gary, but I had my own set of 1957 wheel covers! I liked 'em (still do).

George will have to post about when and if his Father brought the '64 to any National Meets. I do not know. I do know it was ultimately parted out due to extreme Midwest rust.

BTW, there's always confusion about George Dale my cousin being a Jr. and his Dad a Sr. To clarify, he is not Jr. because his name is different from that of his father, in that his father did not have a middle name. So there's never been a Jr. and Sr. George Krem, although there are two of them. (As you can imagine, George has spent about as much time explaining that as I have correcting my name to Palma from the far more common Palmer!)

The same is true of our SDC Vendor Ed Reynolds and his father. Different middle names; no Jr. or Sr...which, of course, I learned the hard way by once referring to Ed the Vendor as "Jr" in his presence! BP

Comment

Yeah, but what happened to Ted's 400? (inquiring minds want to know)
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Great pics, Bob! Not to wish myself to be older, but I do wish I'd have been more 'aware' of Studebakers when they were still new (I do have faint memories of our hometown Stude dealer with the sign out front). But heck, I was born in '58.

Best view, IMHO? The rear view, which shows that lovely, denuded decklid on the Bordeaux Red '64 GT--the best color right after Jet Green IMO!
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          (formerly Greenville, PA)
                          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Ya gotta luv the "Sultan of Sartorial Splendor" with the suit and bow tie. The bow tie fashion in 64 didn't make it down to Central IL where I was a sophomore in high school at the time. For us it was the thin ties and the shirt collars had snap tabs for giving the shirt and tie the classic look. Of course it goes without saying, Studebakers never go out of style! Too bad about the Super Hawk getting killed by the winter salt.
                            sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                              Yeah, but what happened to Ted's 400? (inquiring minds want to know)
                              No, Brad; its fate / whereabouts remain unknown.

If you remember, a total of 51 Golden Hawk 400s were built; 10 show cars plus 41 "production" cars.

Two of the ten show cars are confirmed extant and their owners/whereabouts are known.

Eight of the 41 "production" 400s are confirmed extant and their owners/whereabouts are known.

We know the Serial Number of Ted's 400, so if anyone ever sends that Serial Number to Golden Hawk 400 Roster-Keeper Tom Lawlis of Plainfield IN with documentation that they own the car, you'll see an enormous announcement on this forum!

(Understandably, we don't want to publish that Serial Number. With reproduction Serial Number plates available and the font known, it wouldn't be all that difficult to create "Ted Harbit's Golden Hawk 400." That wouldn't be a good thing unless it really was!) BP
                              Last edited by BobPalma; 07-12-2012, 04:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X