Number 9 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number 9 Avanti

I haven't been to the California Auto Museum for a while. The last time I was there, the number 9 Avanti was still there. I just watched a CNN interview with Andy Beckman at the Studebaker Museum in South Bend. They were talking about the Avanti and there was the #9 on a rotating display. Is it in South Bend now? When was it moved? I know they were trying to get it there for years.

Who knows about this?
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

The #9 Bonneville Avanti was brought to the Studebaker National Museum from Sacramento, Calif., about a month ago, and will be on display during the meet and at least for the duration of the museum's special exhibit, Studebaker's Last Dance: The Avanti. At that time, it will most likely go back to its owner's home in Los Angeles.
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by lschuc View Post
      The #9 Bonneville Avanti was brought to the Studebaker National Museum from Sacramento, Calif., about a month ago, and will be on display during the meet and at least for the duration of the museum's special exhibit, Studebaker's Last Dance: The Avanti. At that time, it will most likely go back to its owner's home in Los Angeles.
      When Greg Cone learned that #9 was going to be on display at the International, he contacted Andy about bringing out his R-5 engine to display at the same time. Andy didn't express interest so he dropped the idea.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

John hora owns the car. He is one of the original founders of aoai. The car was at the Sacramento automobile museum. Andy arranged for the transportation of the vehicle.

John will be at the international meet.
        Dwayne Jacobson

Comment

I had a chance to buy that car in 1969. I was working part-time at Arlington Motors, a Studebaker dealer in Arlington heights, IL, which is a suburb of Chicago. One summer day, I heard an exhaust rumble, looked up, and here came the gold #9 R3 Avanti. Vince Granatelli got out and asked if we would rebuild the starter. As I put it up on the lift, Vince asked if I knew anyone who would be interested in the car. Immediately, I asked "How much?", since I knew exactly what the car was. Vince said "$6,500". There was no way I could afford that, so I had to pass.

Having just got out of the Army and going to grad school, the only significant asset I had was the R3-powered Plain Brown Wrapper. At that time, it would have been difficult to get even $3,000 out of a five or six year old used Lark, even with a genuine R3 in it. In '69, $6,500 was quite a mountain of money.

While the Avanti was on the lift, I took notes as to various numbers and specifications, including axle ratio (2.87 TT).

There's a sequel to this story. This February, 2012, we visited Denny and Jan Lockmon in Arizona. Denny introduced me to Vince Granatelli. I had thought that the Vince who drove the Avanti to Arlington Motors in 1969 was Andy's brother, Vince. So I told this story to the Vince I met, and his eyes lit up and he said "That was me." This Vince is Andy's nephew. The older Vince is still living and is in his mid-to-upper 80s.

George
          Last edited by R3 challenger; 07-09-2012, 10:41 AM.
          george krem

Comment

I'm glad to see it finally make it to South Bend. It has been at the California Auto Museum since 2009 and I don't think very many there really appreciated the historic significance of that car. Maybe it's just because I'm a Studebaker guy.
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by R3 challenger View Post
              I had a chance to buy that car in 1969. I was working part-time at Arlington Motors, a Studebaker dealer in Arlington heights, IL, which is a suburb of Chicago.

George
              I like the way that you refer to Arlington Motors as "...a Studebaker dealer..." in 1969 <G>.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Arilington Motors still sold used Avanti's and Avanti II's for years. They were still in business till the early 90's. The Vince you met George is Andy's son. In fact I will be in his office this afternoon.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                  Arilington Motors still sold used Avanti's and Avanti II's for years. They were still in business till the early 90's. Denny L
                  I kind of figured that. The part that struck me funny was referring to them as "a Studebaker dealer" three years after there weren't any.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X