PDA

View Full Version : Cool/Heat: 51 Champ Temperature Gauge

okc63avanti
07-08-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm trouble shooting things on my recent 51 Champion acquisition and the temperature gauge wasn't working (reading cold all the way to the left). So I checked under the hood and found no wire connected to the temperature sending unit. I looked around where the wiring harness comes out of dash and then splits going to battery, coil and starter and found one lose wire (maybe 16 gage) with a ring terminal on end. It seemed about the right length to reach the sending unit so I hooked it up.

I then cranked the car (it was cold) and for about 5 seconds watched the temp gauge climb until it pegged out to the right at hot. The car hadn't been running for several hours so its not hot and on top of that I drove it 35 miles home after buying it Friday in 100 deg weather on the turnpike at 65 MPH with no over heating and no antifreeze overflow after turning off. Here are my questions:

Did I find the right wire to hook to the sending unit?
If the gauge in dash was bad or had inadequate ground would it even read anything.
If the sending unit is bad would it read all the way pegged out as hot?
Thanks,

41 Frank
07-08-2012, 11:20 PM
If the wire you hooked up is not the proper wire and is instead a ground wire, the gauge would tend to go to hot within a few seconds John. Might want to trace the wire to see if it indeed leads to the gauge.

okc63avanti
07-09-2012, 12:15 AM
If the wire you hooked up is not the proper wire and is instead a ground wire, the gauge would tend to go to hot within a few seconds John. Might want to trace the wire to see if it indeed leads to the gauge.

Frank if I hook up a volt (amp) meter to this wire and bridge it with ground (engine block) what would I expect if its a ground wire (isn't the Stude 6v a postive ground) system? It was only free wire I found under the hood, but I can look some more.

41 Frank
07-09-2012, 07:28 AM
What I said was wrong John. If the wire you hooked up made the gauge go to hot it obviously leads to the gauge. The previous owner may have disconnected it because of a problem with the sending unit. Yes your car is 6v pos. ground. If the wire was grounded somewhere along the way the gauge would show hot regardless if it was connected to the sender or not.

okc63avanti
07-09-2012, 11:41 PM
I think I'll try replacing the sending unit ... and while I am at it probably the oil gauge rubber flex hose for safe measure.

bezhawk
07-09-2012, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't leave the wire hooked up pegging the needle, as you might burn out the gauge. The movement is a bi-metal strip, that deflects when heated, the sending unit controls the resistence, thus the heating of the internal windings. Full hot, and the fine wires can melt leaving the gauge inoperable.

okc63avanti
07-10-2012, 07:18 AM
I took it back off after trying it out, but thanks for the reminder Brad.