Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone went with Straight water Versus Antifreeze and recorded difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Anyone went with Straight water Versus Antifreeze and recorded difference?

I read on additives to reduce heat in radiator that they work better with straight water. The thought entered my mind with the high temperatures we are seeing ,to drain my antifreeze and run straight water with a lube additive. Has anyone done this and seen a difference?
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
    I read on additives to reduce heat in radiator that they work better with straight water. The thought entered my mind with the high temperatures we are seeing ,to drain my antifreeze and run straight water with a lube additive. Has anyone done this and seen a difference?
    Nothing 'reduces heat' in a radiator.
    "Coolant" has properties to enhance the heat exchange rate that the radiator is designed for.
    One of the properties of modern 'coolant' is a chemical additive to reduce the freeze point.
    (example)

Straight water will not get you to the upper number.
    (chart)

Also, the 50-50 pre-mix is made with de-ionized water and has no/few impurities or minerals in it.

Straight water with some water pump lube will work, but you get no benefits, and assume more responsability and liabilities to maintain properly.
    (Some race tracks require straight water to prevent massive track cleaning issues with anti freeze coolant leaks)....
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Randy, many years ago when I lived in Miami, Florida our Avanti only had water as a coolent...never anti-freeze.......the only additional item we utilized was water pump lube...I assume it kept the pump seal soft and pliable. The cap was always 12 pound and the car never over heated.......and this in the heat of South Florida.
      Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post

Comment

Studebaker Corp apparently did. In their August 1957 Bulletin # 327, they said a car runs 10-12 degrees hotter with 40 per cent antifreeze. Per the bulletin, Supercharged engines may be prone to overheating in warm weather and "controlled traffic conditions". They recommended going to pure water in warm weather, for those (supercharged) cars which had heat problems. If that failed to alleviate the overheating, they called for a smaller WP pulley to speed up the WP and fan.

Comment

Distilled water is more efficient at heat transfer but has no lubrication properties for the water pump or anti-corrosion or rust inhibitors. Tap water has iron and other corrosive products in it that require inhibitors. A glycol/water mix does reduce the cooling efficiency some but adds those chemicals in an optimum concentration. Factories send their cars all over and want them protected under any climatic conditions...at least how they are when built. After that the onus is on the operator to maintain the condition of the cooling system.

Aftermarket products like Water Wetter say they work best when added to straight water than a glycol mix.
          Last edited by Gunslinger; 07-09-2012, 06:02 AM.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

If your car has a modern combination heating / cooling unit, like Vintage Air, don't go with straight water. The water and refrigerant are in the same coil and without antifreeze the water can be frozen, causing damage. The units are labeled with this warning.
            Perry
            \'50 Business Champion
            \'50 Starlight Champion
            \'60 Lark Convertible,
            \'63 GT R1,
            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Gunslinger is correct.

Glychols to not transfer heat very well if at all...old or modern versions.
              Water is about the best out there.
              Distilled water will help keep the system clean vs. tap water.

I've run about a 20% mixture for MANY years both in my cars and bikes.
              20% Ethylene Glycol (anti-freeze) mostly for its lubricating properties, 80% distilled water for its heat transfer properties.

And yes...it does make a difference, that's why I do it that way.

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X