PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: Avanti power windows

garyc
07-08-2012, 02:14 PM
The Avanti was originaly designed with the power windows to operate only in the ignition ON position. I recently burnt the points on my '63 by leaving the switch on to long (about 10 minue) after I lowered the windows with out the engine running. I found that Studebaker issued a service letter (J-1963-10) instucting the use of a jumper on the relay between the starter and motor contacts bypassing the ignition during service work. They then said to remove the jumper after work was complete. I am not sure of the routing from the relay to the ignition switch. Can the windows be made to operate in the Accessory and/or Ignition position? If the relay goes directly to the Ignition terminal on the Ignition switch, is it as simple as moving the wire to the accessory terminal. I'm not that confident in reading the schematics on Bob's Resource Website to know if they answer my question. I don't want to cause another problem at this point with out some advise. Any comments are appreciated.

Gunslinger
07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
The power windows in the '63 I used to own and the '70 I own now will operate with the switch in the accessory position. I would expect it was designed that way so as not to burn the points when being serviced.

SN-60
07-08-2012, 05:36 PM
The power windows on My '63 only operate with the key in the IGN (Run) position. (and now that it's been brought up, I think I'll do something about that!

Gunslinger
07-08-2012, 10:55 PM
While not exactly a paragon of clarity, the owners manual for both the '63 and '64 Avanti states:

"Turning the key just to the spring-loaded stop at the right completes circuits to the ignition system, instruments, radio, and any other accessories wired through the ignition switch. Turning the key to the left completes the same circuits except for ignition."

Again...not a model of clarity but that tells me the power windows should also work on the accessory side of the ignition switch. Maybe it depends on when a particular car was assembled...after a certain serial number the wiring was changed so the windows would work on accessory.

rstrasser
07-10-2012, 05:43 PM
My Avanti is # 63R1890 and the power windows work only in the ignition position. On my Avanti, Studebaker ran a wire from the Ignition terminal on the voltage regulator to the coil terminal on the power window relay; all under the hood on the left fender. The wire is #22E a Yellow with a black tracer.
In order to operate the widows from the accessory position, the wire from the voltage regulator to the window relay must be removed and a new wire run from the window relay coil terminal to a wire that is energized with the switch in the accessory position. The wire from the accessory position on the ignition switch goes to the fuse block that is under the left side of the dash board.

Ron

WCP
07-11-2012, 12:52 PM
In keeping with that posted by rstrasser, while restoring my Avanti, I ran a wire, white with black trace, from the relay to the accessory side of the ignition switch. I wrapped that wire to the 12 ga. black feed to the power window switches to create a small secondary harness to pass thru the firewall grommet. Since the factory didn't make accommodation for power windows in the basic harness, they took the easier approach of taking the power for the window relay from the ignition terminal of the voltage regulator. Hence, the windows only worked with the ignition switch in the "on" position - not a good idea!

garyc
07-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks for all the comments and info. Would you recomend a fuse (size) in the new wire to the Accessory side of the fuse block?

rstrasser
07-11-2012, 04:10 PM
If I was doing it I would use either one of the already fused items (Radio, Wiper or Back up Light) that are fused on the fuse block or add a fuse and connect the new fuse to where the wire 9Q from the accessory terminal on the ignition switch connects to the fuse block. Either is easier then removing and reinstalling the ignition switch to get at the accessory terminal. A 16 gauge wire is heavy enough, as all the current it has to carry is that needed to energize the relay for the windows.
Don,t forget to disconnect the wire from the window relay to the voltage regulator.
Ron