Wire from Distributor to back of Carburetor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Wire from Distributor to back of Carburetor

I know this may sound silly, but what is the wire called that runs from the distributor to the back of the carburetor called? I snapped mine while attempting to loosen it, so i need to know its name to buy a new one.
    Thanks!
    Cissell

If you mean an electrical wire, there are no electrical wires running from the distributor to the back of the carburetor on a 1957 Commander. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It was a hollow metal tube. Sorry for the misunderstanding on the description. Thanks for the help!

Comment

That would be called the vacuum advance control pipe.

Perhaps someone will post a part number, although you can make one up just as easily as finding an NOS Studebaker-issued one.

They aren't that unique. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

To: Cissell,-----After You replace that pipe, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check see if the vacuum advance is still actually working....easiest way to do that I believe is with a timing light attached to the running
          engine and observing the difference in advance with the pipe connected, and with the pipe disconnected. (plug vacuum pipe at distributor when running disconnected, that's also a good time to check the timing!)

Comment

If both threaded ends of the tube are still good where they go in to the distributor and to the carburetor, you can make a clean cut on the tubes snapped ends and use an appropriate size rubber tube for a link to the two ends. It makes it easier to turn the distributor when you are timing the engine too.

Comment

Originally posted by CHIEF BLAZE View Post
              If both threaded ends of the tube are still good where they go in to the distributor and to the carburetor, you can make a clean cut on the tubes snapped ends and use an appropriate size rubber tube for a link to the two ends. It makes it easier to turn the distributor when you are timing the engine too.
              You don't want to use a tube that is too flexible/has a soft sidewall. Remember it is a vacuum line and will try to collapse. This would defeat the purpose of the line under some conditions.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What Chief Blaze said.
                Take the piece of metal tube to the parts store, ask for " vacuum hose" to fit.
                If either end of the existing tube is fargled up, take them with you and you can get replacement pieces to fit.
                If the ends are flared you will have to borrow a flare tool.
                Go to a NAPA, someplace where there may be someone who can do more for you than look at a computer and tell you they don't have "STUDEBAKER" in their computer.
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. The pipe was pretty well crushed, so i cant reuse that one. Can anyone point me to a new one, i couldnt find this part on studebakerparts.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Cissell View Post
                    Thanks for all the responses. The pipe was pretty well crushed, so i cant reuse that one. Can anyone point me to a new one, i couldnt find this part on studebakerparts.com.
                    Nothing special.....just use a piece of brake line. NAPA should have various lengths available.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                    X