• Show
Clear All

• ID Needed

Found a few pics of this ......

Anyone have any background?
    thx

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Looks like the inspiration for the 2R grill.
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Interesting! Was this actually at the Studebaker factory or was this an outsourced design? There is a similar car in the background as well as some 47? models. It looks remarkably like this.

Terry

Comment

Well, it's badged as a Studebaker Champion but I have to admit I've never seen it before. Except for the clumsy proportions on the back doors, I like it. Looks like an attempt to downsize, very much like what the guys at Ford were playing with - and also abandoning - at about the same time. Richard Quinn will know.

Comment

Izzat one ah them Porsche-designed Studes???
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes, this was a full scale plaster mock up completed in June 1946 (photos taken 1-21-47). I believe Joe Thompson may have been involved in the design. It is described as "short wheelbase, light weight." Note that it was a two door on one side and four on the other which was common practice for these design mock ups. Judging by the date I can only guess that it may have been under consideration for a possible successor to the '47 Exner design. I note little on this model that was ever adopted on subsequent cars. Just one of many experimental designs that was eventually relegated to the scrap bin.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Here are three more photos of it....

64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I see a lot of Chrysler influence in the front end and deck lid. Maybe just coincidental...
                ~Matt Connor
                '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Boy....that thing is homely.
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

To me, most of it (front & side) look better than a 1947 Champion.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That thing's UGLY. Looks like something Eastern Europe would've built as an everymans car.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                      X