This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine conversions

I just recently bought a really nice 63 Studebaker Lark 2 dor sedan,although it does have the 6 cylinder 3-speed manual. Will it be very difficult and overly expensive to convert to Studebaker V8 or would it be more sensible price wise to just install a small block Chevrolet engine and maybe a later generation GM auto transmission?

Hi Waydon,
    I think this community gets this question a lot, I'll give the usual guys a break and answer.

a. Searching this forum will give you a lot of good reading materials on engines and swaps.

b. its your car, and you'll do with it what you want. But you bought a really nice Studebaker because apparently you like Studebakers. The motor is a part of the car and the fun.

c. Whats wrong with the 6 banger? Good little motor that can be hopped up a bit. This question you must answer yourself.

d. Studebaker V8 conversion can be done of course. Without too much effort, although related things like brakes do differ between 6's and 8's. Price will not be huge because little to no fabrication is required.

e. The lark engine bay will swallow whatever you really want in it, if that is something you feel you want to do.

Read around this forum and you'll find out just what we all think of the studebaker V8.

Dan
    52 hardtop

Comment

Hi Waydon,
      I think this community gets this question a lot, I'll give the usual guys a break and answer.

a. Searching this forum will give you a lot of good reading materials on engines and swaps.

b. its your car, and you'll do with it what you want. But you bought a really nice Studebaker because apparently you like Studebakers. The motor is a part of the car and the fun.

c. Whats wrong with the 6 banger? Good little motor that can be hopped up a bit. This question you must answer yourself.

d. Studebaker V8 conversion can be done of course. Without too much effort, although related things like brakes do differ between 6's and 8's. Price will not be huge because little to no fabrication is required.

e. The lark engine bay will swallow whatever you really want in it, if that is something you feel you want to do.

Read around this forum and you'll find out just what we all think of the studebaker V8.

Dan
      52 hardtop

Comment

Put a 55-57 Chrysler Hemi in it. The engine bay won't swallow that up!
        A guy put one in a...then new Lark...way back. Fairly nice job too.

Mike

Comment

Put a 55-57 Chrysler Hemi in it. The engine bay won't swallow that up!
          A guy put one in a...then new Lark...way back. Fairly nice job too.

Mike

Comment

Ask Bill Cathcart if many of the things he does to a Champion Six (racing cam, larger valves, etc...) can be done to the OHV 170 six cylinder in your Lark. If he can get you up to 120-140 h.p., isn't that plenty powerful for a Lark?

cathcartsstudebaker.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, cathcartsstudebaker.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Of course, it may not be the cheapest way to go, but you get to keep using the original Studebaker engine. To me, a Cathcart treatment will only enhance the resalability of the car.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Ask Bill Cathcart if many of the things he does to a Champion Six (racing cam, larger valves, etc...) can be done to the OHV 170 six cylinder in your Lark. If he can get you up to 120-140 h.p., isn't that plenty powerful for a Lark?

cathcartsstudebaker.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, cathcartsstudebaker.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Of course, it may not be the cheapest way to go, but you get to keep using the original Studebaker engine. To me, a Cathcart treatment will only enhance the resalability of the car.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I'd stay with the Studeebaker V8. You can do so much with them and they will turn higher rpm's than sbc. I've had ohv 6's and had head problems as they're proned to crack between the seats. Side by side Stude is 100lbs heavier, more meat,and last 3 to 4 times longer. As an example, When I sold my 57 Broadmoor wagon that I traveled in,the engine had over 300k on it and still goin strong. I'd also put stelite seats in when I rebuilt it. It isn't that it's a better engine, it's just that it's much more fun to take something that would have been recycled into 2 or 3 sbc's and make it perform. As I've mentioned there isn't anything that's sounds better than a well tuned Studebaker V8 at the end of duel pipes with nearly hollow muffins. No installation changes, the 8 will swing right in. If you keep standard shift,a T86 overdrive with 3:56 gear will get you pretty good mpg. I know you are aware the six frame is made of lighter gauge steel,brakes are A bolt-up on the front as they have the same spindle. A Dana 44 will give you the correct drum and shoes. My recomendation is 2 things for the frame: Find a convertible , station wagon, hardtop,or Avanti frame and remove the "x" member and weld into the "6" frame and reinforce the frame corssmember at the shock tower and upper tie bolt that holds the upper control arm to the frame as this a weak point in both frames. The alternative is to find a V8 frame and still reinforce the said area, they're common. I would use a 4 barrel intake with an AFB copied, Weber manufactured, Edelbrock labeled Carb with a torker grind on the cam. I recently wanted to build a 60 2dr. this way,but couldn't afford it(2 children and no mama). I wanted to scare the crap out of the kids with thier Mustangs and rice burners. Also there is a guy advertising in TW an adaptor to install a t350 or 700R4. Wish I could come and help, I'm excited just talking about it. A little suttle plain Jane car with quiet paint and small wheel covers that will send any committed motorhead into an orgasmic coma.
                Have fum, I'm jealous,and keep us posted(anybody can do an sbc,you, are a Studebaker man!!) Thanks for letting me share.
                Kim

Comment

I'd stay with the Studeebaker V8. You can do so much with them and they will turn higher rpm's than sbc. I've had ohv 6's and had head problems as they're proned to crack between the seats. Side by side Stude is 100lbs heavier, more meat,and last 3 to 4 times longer. As an example, When I sold my 57 Broadmoor wagon that I traveled in,the engine had over 300k on it and still goin strong. I'd also put stelite seats in when I rebuilt it. It isn't that it's a better engine, it's just that it's much more fun to take something that would have been recycled into 2 or 3 sbc's and make it perform. As I've mentioned there isn't anything that's sounds better than a well tuned Studebaker V8 at the end of duel pipes with nearly hollow muffins. No installation changes, the 8 will swing right in. If you keep standard shift,a T86 overdrive with 3:56 gear will get you pretty good mpg. I know you are aware the six frame is made of lighter gauge steel,brakes are A bolt-up on the front as they have the same spindle. A Dana 44 will give you the correct drum and shoes. My recomendation is 2 things for the frame: Find a convertible , station wagon, hardtop,or Avanti frame and remove the "x" member and weld into the "6" frame and reinforce the frame corssmember at the shock tower and upper tie bolt that holds the upper control arm to the frame as this a weak point in both frames. The alternative is to find a V8 frame and still reinforce the said area, they're common. I would use a 4 barrel intake with an AFB copied, Weber manufactured, Edelbrock labeled Carb with a torker grind on the cam. I recently wanted to build a 60 2dr. this way,but couldn't afford it(2 children and no mama). I wanted to scare the crap out of the kids with thier Mustangs and rice burners. Also there is a guy advertising in TW an adaptor to install a t350 or 700R4. Wish I could come and help, I'm excited just talking about it. A little suttle plain Jane car with quiet paint and small wheel covers that will send any committed motorhead into an orgasmic coma.
                  Have fum, I'm jealous,and keep us posted(anybody can do an sbc,you, are a Studebaker man!!) Thanks for letting me share.
                  Kim

Comment

I'm partial to the Stude V-8 as well, but a SBC in a Lark is fairly easy. You need the 65-66 motor mounts for the front of the engine, and then you will need a custom crossmember for the trans and a custom driveshaft unless you are using a 65-66 Studebaker trans and driveshaft.

Either way you go, I would HIGHLY recommend swapping to the V-8 drum brakes at a MINIMUM when doing a swap like this. It's a bolt on. There's various disc conversions available as well if you want to go down that road. turner makes a good one and there's a guy named Tom that posts here occasionally that has been working on adapting big Cobra brakes to his Avanti (those will require 17" wheels tho.) You'll also need a Dana 44 rear end from a V-8 Studebaker (anything 53-up should work OK.) You'll also want to use the front sway bar from a V-8 Studebaker, the 63-64 style with the brackets that bolt to the frame with 2 bolts are the best, and possibly consider adding a rear bar as well.

Did I mention I'm partial to the Studebaker engine? It's so torquey, it feels bigger than it is, and the exhaust sound puts a smile on your face.

good luck,

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I'm partial to the Stude V-8 as well, but a SBC in a Lark is fairly easy. You need the 65-66 motor mounts for the front of the engine, and then you will need a custom crossmember for the trans and a custom driveshaft unless you are using a 65-66 Studebaker trans and driveshaft.

Either way you go, I would HIGHLY recommend swapping to the V-8 drum brakes at a MINIMUM when doing a swap like this. It's a bolt on. There's various disc conversions available as well if you want to go down that road. turner makes a good one and there's a guy named Tom that posts here occasionally that has been working on adapting big Cobra brakes to his Avanti (those will require 17" wheels tho.) You'll also need a Dana 44 rear end from a V-8 Studebaker (anything 53-up should work OK.) You'll also want to use the front sway bar from a V-8 Studebaker, the 63-64 style with the brackets that bolt to the frame with 2 bolts are the best, and possibly consider adding a rear bar as well.

Did I mention I'm partial to the Studebaker engine? It's so torquey, it feels bigger than it is, and the exhaust sound puts a smile on your face.

good luck,

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Waydon

I just recently bought a really nice 63 Studebaker Lark 2 dor sedan,although it does have the 6 cylinder 3-speed manual. Will it be very difficult and overly expensive to convert to Studebaker V8 or would it be more sensible price wise to just install a small block Chevrolet engine and maybe a later generation GM auto transmission?
                        Waydon,

If you do swap, I'll help you out by taking that piece of 6 cylinder junk off your hands<G> if you are anywhere close to North Carolina.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Waydon

Waydon,

If you do swap, I'll help you out by taking that piece of 6 cylinder junk off your hands<G> if you are anywhere close to North Carolina.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Paul,
                            Someone pointed out recently that you can click the posting user's name and sometimes you'll get to see what part of the country they are in. Waydon is in... (you'll have to click his link to see).

Personally, I would replace the motor with a hopped up Champion Six, but that's just my silly bias. I too, had heard about OHV heads cracking. I guess it's true.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                            The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                            The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Paul,
                              Someone pointed out recently that you can click the posting user's name and sometimes you'll get to see what part of the country they are in. Waydon is in... (you'll have to click his link to see).

Personally, I would replace the motor with a hopped up Champion Six, but that's just my silly bias. I too, had heard about OHV heads cracking. I guess it's true.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                              The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                              The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Working...
                              X