What to do? 66 transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: What to do? 66 transmission

My non-Studebaker mechanic feels my stock automatic in the 66 Cruiser is toast. It won't start from a stop in Drive, but I can start in low and change to drive once I am moving. Fluid is leaking out of the vent hole or tube when it runs. He says a rebuild is well over $2000. The car isn't worth that. Is there a good unit out there someone can sell, or are there other ideas anyone has? Thanks. I suppose the torque converter ought to be changed or rebuilt, too.

Is this a 2 speed or three speed? I thought it was 2, but he thinks it might be three.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

It is a 3 speed, but it starts in 2nd gear unless you floor it from a stop or manually select low.

There is a Stude transmission guru in the Portland area that does a super job on the FlightoMatics. I forget his name, but you could get it from Brian Curtis...

briancurtis at yahoo dot com

...I think he charges 700-800 or so for a rebuild.

Also, you could get a good used TH350 for less than that. 3 speed with a low gear start. You would have to do some fabrication for the mount, linkage, and driveshaft, however.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Private message sent...

Comment

Working...
      X