Alternate Wheels..Food for Thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Alternate Wheels..Food for Thought

I spend a certain amount of time looking at car parts on EBay, and I noticed under auto parts in EBay motors, that
    a lot of 16" and 17" later model Ford Mustang wheels w/tires usually show up as take offs. for usually quite reasonable prices. We have a 63 Lark 2 door. Has anyone tried these wheels? They are the correct 4.5 bolt pattern and the
    width is usually around seven inches. They would be perfect for Radial tire swaps?....Sure like to hear if someone
    has done these on Studies

Yes, been done. one of our members, sbca96, has been running 17" Mustang wheels for several years now on his Avanti. A search will turn up his info.

I had some custom 16" wheels made up for my Hawk in 8" wide and they fit fine.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Waydon View Post
      I spend a certain amount of time looking at car parts on EBay, and I noticed under auto parts in EBay motors, that
      a lot of 16" and 17" later model Ford Mustang wheels w/tires usually show up as take offs. for usually quite reasonable prices. We have a 63 Lark 2 door. Has anyone tried these wheels? They are the correct 4.5 bolt pattern and the
      width is usually around seven inches. They would be perfect for Radial tire swaps?....Sure like to hear if someone
      has done these on Studies
      Waydon

The bolt pattern is correct but the biggest issue is back spacing. My 83 Avanti has 15 X 8" wheels but the backspacing required is about 3.5" on the front and 4.5" on the rear.

The pre-2005 Mustang wheels are about 5" back spacing while the 2005+ are close to 6.5" backspacing. The pre2005 should fit the rear but would require spacers on the front.

Let me recommend you check your local wrecking yard for scrap wheels that are cheap, take them home and try them. From there you will be able to get the specs and possibly spacer needs you require.

Bob

Comment

As Bob pointed out, the newer wheels have backspacing -meaning the wheel surface they mount to is offset and in the case of the Mustang wheels, closer to the outside than to the inside of the wheel rim.

Stock wheels have drop center mounting surfaces.

With proper wheel spacers (machined aluminum with countersunk lugs) the Mustang wheels can be adapted sucessfully.

Here is a pic of some on an Avanti:

Comment

One thing to consider is the suspension.
          Those taller wheels mean a reduction in sidewall on the tire, and that reduces the amount of flex in the tire.
          (In other words, the tire rides 'stiffer').
          Not a problem on a suspension designed for that, but it might ride rougher on an older Stude suspension.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Spend some x tra bucks if you have to and get wheels that fit properly. Lotsa Lincoln and Crown Vic wheels come in 15 x 6 1/2 wide with dead on back spacing. 1990- 97. I have 2 sets of 1994 lLincoln Rear wheel drive. Sometimes less than 200 bucks on e bay. They are on my var right now. Check the photo on my post. cheers jimmijim
            Last edited by jimmijim8; 07-04-2012, 04:52 AM.
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jimmijim8; 07-04-2012, 04:59 AM.
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Jimmijim,
                I agree, those wheels look outstanding on your GT. I considered a set before, but noticed the aluminum in the lug stud/nut area is extra thick; so thick I worried about the Stude studs being long enough to even get a lug nut onto.

Question: do your wheels have that same thickness? If so, how did you get around the issue?

Thanks,
                Joe

Comment

Working...
                X