PDA

View Full Version : 62 Tach

Chucks Stude
07-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Is the tach sending unit on a 62 GT servicable? Mine is acting up, and the tach itself has checked out OK. The tach hangs in different places[xx(]. Must be loosing its signal. Any ideas?

starlightchamp
07-18-2007, 03:57 PM
I doubt serviceable but, if so, likely more cost than buying a new one. Studebaker International has them in their catalog.. Both rectangular and round. The round ones are for "R" series engines.
Check the signal wire coming from the coil has good connections. Also be sure there is a separate ground wire running from the Tach body to car body.
How do you know the gauge itself is OK ? IIRC there is a filter or rectifier built into the Tach.
that can cause problems. I finally got my 63 Hawk tach kinda working but it hunts a few hunged RPM. Picked up a NOS Tach at South Bend but haven't yet tried it to see if it works better, I do have the S.I sender unit installed.
...Dick

Chucks Stude
07-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the info.
The reason that I believe it is OK is that I took the tach out, and took it to a speedometer shop who checked it over. They pronounced it OK. Now here is the 64 dollar question. Where is the sending unit? I have looked all over the place, and cannot locate it. I have found several wasp nests, and a load of rotten insulation.
On the plus side, I have found that you can rerun the defroster hoses in a 62 with air, by removing the tach, and the front seat, and holding your tongue in just the right way, using electrical wire ties, get er done!

starlightchamp
07-19-2007, 02:22 PM
http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/tach/twtach/twtach.html
The above is an excellent treatise on the Hawk tachometer including trouble shooting
info. I encourage you to check it out--it's quite technical.
As to where the sender unit is--I was told it is on the driver side under the dash lip--but I never found mine either. I think it was removed by a former owner. It is a rectangular box about
1 1/4 inches by 2 1/2 inches by 1/2 inch. Do a search in the forum for "tachometers" to find more info.
...Dick