PDA

View Full Version : Cool/Heat: What kind of cooling fan are you running?

Dougie
07-02-2012, 03:51 PM
I am in the long process of installing a small block Chevy in my 62 Lark. I have the drivetrain installed, and bought the aluminum jeeep conversion radiator off E Bay. I am using the short water pump and I mounted the radiator on the frame. It looks like Ii have about 2 1/2 inches or so clearance for a fan. I don't think this is enough for a thermal fan clutch, so I ask: Are some of you running just a fan without any clutch? If so what are the pros and cons? Of course there is room for a puller or pusher electric fan but I like things simple, so i was wondering what options and opinions ithers have. I have a 327 and a Muncie 4 speed and 3.73 gears if that makes any difference. Thanks,

Gunslinger
07-02-2012, 05:10 PM
On my '70 Avanti with a 350HO SBC I have a Flex-a-Lite Black Magic electric fan. It does an outstanding job of keeping the engine temps in check. Summit Racing has many electric fans that should work should you decide to go that way.

sweetolbob
07-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Whether you run an electric fan or mechanical style you will probably want a shroud. 2 1/2" is not a lot of clearance for either. If you can find a decent electric fan it should come with a shroud but 2 1/2" could be tough to find.

I run a 6-blade flex-blade mechanical fan on my 83 Avanti with the original shroud and no cooling issues with 355 cu in SBC 400 hp or so and aluminum radiator.

Bob

DEEPNHOCK
07-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Also... Try to buy a curved bladed fan.
They are quieter.

Mike Van Veghten
07-02-2012, 10:20 PM
I've got a one simillar to this on my Lark. It works very nicely, though it's a little noisy above 4500rpm.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-3717/

Whatever you do...from personal experience...stay away from the aftermarket electric fans.

If you want a fan worthy of your money...go to the OEM's (Ford, GM, Chry. factory). They've spent much more money on designing fans thAn the aftermarket could even think of spending.

The Lincoln, the Viper...might be overkill..but Ford Hi-perf. Mustang, most any of the trucks, would do the job nicely.
The old saying is true here...while the factory fans are a little more money....you do get what you pay for..!

Mike

Dougie
07-02-2012, 11:30 PM
So you guys are running those mechanical fans without any clutch? Do they make a lot of noise at higher rpms? I've also heard they can sap as much as 15 HP without a clutch.

sweetolbob
07-03-2012, 11:04 AM
So you guys are running those mechanical fans without any clutch? Do they make a lot of noise at higher rpms? I've also heard they can sap as much as 15 HP without a clutch.

Dougie

I'd like to tell you about the noise my fan makes at higher RPM but it's out of it's class with the rest of the beautiful music the Avanti/SBC is making at higher RPMs. I can't say that I hear it much at all. Remember that they flatten out at higher RPM.

As far a HP requirements, I have no idea. On an ultimate drag car. probably an issue. In your case, I think the 2 1/2" clearance is the most important issue. I came home last week in 95+ deg temps and the Avanti held at 190-195 all day. That's the thermostat rating I've installed.

Mike V's and mine are both quality fans and don't buy less.

Here's my install.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/sweetolbob/Avanti/P1010502.jpg

Bob

ralt12
07-03-2012, 01:31 PM
A pair of Derale's...
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283/ralt12/IMG_7104.jpg

Mike Van Veghten
07-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Dougie -

The fan style that Bob and I have, have flexable blades. If you look, they are very thin and flatten with rpm. A solid blade would pull some power...BUT...

15hp...? This type comment is I assume from the magazines. You gotta remember, these are solid bladed fans and at a high rpm. At normal...freeway speeds or around town speeds...the engine won't even know it's there.
But again, these are most likely solid fans that not many hot rodders use anyway...!

Again...a fan like described above or a "quality" (OEM) electric fan....

Mike

Dougie
07-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Dougie

I'd like to tell you about the noise my fan makes at higher RPM but it's out of it's class with the rest of the beautiful music the Avanti/SBC is making at higher RPMs. I can't say that I hear it much at all. Remember that they flatten out at higher RPM.

As far a HP requirements, I have no idea. On an ultimate drag car. probably an issue. In your case, I think the 2 1/2" clearance is the most important issue. I came home last week in 95+ deg temps and the Avanti held at 190-195 all day. That's the thermostat rating I've installed.

Mike V's and mine are both quality fans and don't buy less.

Here's my install.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/sweetolbob/Avanti/P1010502.jpg

Bob

The flex fan sounds like the way to go. Stupid me, I didn't think to realize that those flatten with speed reducing the pull as well as the noise. What brand are you running? My brother is a sheet metal worker so if I can't find a suitable plastic shroud I may try to get him to fabricate one for me.

Mike Van Veghten
07-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Dougie -

See my "first" post (#5)....it gives you a place to buy it from, it gives a part number and it provides a cost. And no, you can't use my credit card.

While there are many to choose from...of the same "basic" type/style, two of us have provided answers to your questions of the fan we use......previously.

Mike