Special Studebaker Photo for Canada Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Studebaker Photo for Canada Day

'Saw the Canada Day post in Stove Huggers and ran across the following while looking for something else (I never did find)!

Anyway, many folks don't surf Stove Huggers with any regularity, so I thought I'd post this here for our forum "Canuks" celebrating your special day. Congrats.

From Page 8 of the October 1963 Studebaker News:

Where is Stu Chapman???? BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 07-01-2012, 07:06 PM. Reason: Can't find Stu Chapman!
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Hey Bob , that could be Stu's 64 company convertible in the right lower corner. that car still is in Toronto today !
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
      Hey Bob , that could be Stu's 64 company convertible in the right lower corner. that car still is in Toronto today !
      Doesn't Stu's Bordeaux Red convertible have a black interior, Bob? (I'm kinda asking; I don't know for sure.)

The subject car's convertible top boot appears to be lighter than black; possibly tan?

Or if the display car is Strato Blue, perhaps the interior (and top boot) would be light blue?

Too bad the original photo is also in black & white.

Hopefully, Stu will see this topic and tender an opinion. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was referring to his company car back in 64. It was blue with a light blue interior.
        That same car was used in the Cdn sales brochure.
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
          I was referring to his company car back in 64. It was blue with a light blue interior.
          That same car was used in the Cdn sales brochure.
          Hey, cool beans, Bob: The subject car could very well have been Stu's ride-of-the-day-back-in-the-day!

Let's hope he checks in. BP

Comment

Thanks for thinking of us "northerners" Bob!

As a side note it was interesting to read that Sherwood Egbert came to Canada in October '63, I had always thought his health prevented him from most hands on duties by that point in time.
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
              Thanks for thinking of us "northerners" Bob!

As a side note it was interesting to read that Sherwood Egbert came to Canada in October '63, I had always thought his health prevented him from most hands on duties by that point in time.
              You're welcome, Mark.

You made a good point, there, about Egbert. I hadn't thought of that.

You're right; that might have been one of his last trips out of "The Lower 48," at least officially, on Studebaker's behalf. It would be interesting to know if it was, in fact, his last.

'Might well have been, as you say. BP

Comment

Update from Stu

Yes, I certainly was there. Our current Daytona convertible is Bordeaux Red with a red interior with split bench recliners.

My company convertible was Strato Blue with a blue interior, again with split bench recliners. I believe the car in the picture was the one I eventually drove. It was an early show car build and it was first driven by our Comptroller Graeme Allwood before I took it over. I sold it to my barber when it was time to draw a new car and it was eventually purchased, and still owned, by Don (Sandy) Ross of Mississauga. Sandy's car is still looking good and was a participant in the Ontario Chapter's Made in Canada event this past weekend in Belleville, Ontario.

To the best of my recollection, I don't believe Sherwood Egbert attended any more Studebaker launches after that one. That was the only time I met him.

Although Ed Sullivan had been a long-time spokesman for Mercury, Studebaker of Canada sponsored the Canadian feed of the Ed Sullivan Show every Sunday at 8 pm on the CBC National Network promoting the 1964 model line. Ed's wife was supplied with a South Bend built Wagonaire as part of the talent deal. I had the pleasure of being an audience guest of Ed Sullivan at one of his shows in New York City during the Fall of 1963. It's amazing how these items keep turning up and they always bring back additional memories that I can continue to share with SDC members.

This past weekend I had the pleasure of speaking briefly to over 100 members at the Made in Canada Awards Banquet and I used the opportunity to pitch the Endowment Program of the Studebaker National Museum. Mrs. Merry Tinsley, daughter of Studebaker of Canada President Gordon Grundy, was a special guest of honor. Gordon would have been 100 years old this year.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Great, Stu; thanks for the thorough report. BP

Comment

Working...
                  X