PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pump Removal

DWard
07-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Hello Everyone!

I have my champion 185 engine on the engine stand. I'm trying to remove the oil pump. I don't know how to get the drive gear off the pump. The book says there is a special tool J-2959 to do this. There is a "Horseshoe lock" under the gear, but there is no access to it. Does this special tool release the horseshoe lock? Thanks much----Dan

StudeRich
07-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Dan; I honestly don't remember how I got that off of my '54 Champion 45 years ago!

I think I just spun it with the open side of the horseshoe to me and drove it off with a drift punch.

All I can say from experience is: BE SURE TO MARK THE ORIENTATION of the gear to the cam or plan on timing it with the dist. installed when reassembling the oil pump. It must be timed to the cam, or you will not be able to time the engine because of the position of the Dist.![:0]

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

DWard
07-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Richard---Thanks for your help. I think you are correct because there are only 2 options. 1----do like you said and drive it off because it is pressed on the shaft or 2----The special tool that the manual says to use goes down thru the hole in the shaft and releases the u shaped fastener behind the gear. These are the only 2 options I can think of because there is no space behind the gear or tapped holes to pull it off with a puller. I smacked it once with a brass punch, and it seemed pretty solid, so I thought I would try & get some more info from everyone before I proceeded, and assumed it was pressed on. I've got a call in to Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker, and I am waiting on his response as well. When I figure this one out, I'll post it to this forum. Thanks again----Dan Ward

StudeRich
07-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks Dan for the nice reply, I think Bill Cathcart would have a bit more experience with 6's, but Phil should know. They both are the best, really helpful and great guys. I met Bill (and Phil) at the Intern'l. in SB and bought some of the new Pertronix for Prestolite V-8 single point Dist's. that Phil does not have.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

DWard
07-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Richard---I bought the pertronix from Phil for my Champion engine---It was an easy swap and seems to work well. Thanks again---Dan

Dwain G.
07-20-2007, 01:34 AM
This image of the puller is a little easier to understand than the photo in the shop manual. It actually pushes the gear up from underneath.
As I recall I used my favorite hook tool (an old screwdriver with the end bent to about 95 and rounded off)as a lever to pry the gear upward. They usually come off pretty easily. Notice that a couple bolts are put back in the pump to secure it after the cover is removed.
http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/puller.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

DWard
07-20-2007, 08:11 AM
I got it off!---Thanks to everyone!---Dan

lanthony2020
03-14-2016, 02:24 PM
How, and the link to tool is no longer up?

LN

Skip Lackie
03-14-2016, 05:05 PM
How, and the link to tool is no longer up?

LN

That's a 9-year old thread, and DWard has not posted since 2010 -- so don't be surprised if he/she doesn't respond.

lanthony2020
03-14-2016, 07:09 PM
THanks, talked to Chuck at StudebakerParts.Com. Chuck educated me on "how to", without using the "Tool."

Old Radio Tech
09-18-2016, 08:00 PM
Can someone educate me on "how to without the tool"

Paul

Skybolt
09-18-2016, 10:52 PM
If you can make stuff, IE tools from welding scrap then you are most of the way there. I made one about 10 years ago. A nut a long Bolt a piece of tubing and a washer. I'm around work, due to an emergency call out so a can't give you dimensions. When I get home I'll dig up the article and post a scan.

Otherwise you just have to get some sort of tool under the gear to pull it up.

Len

doofus
09-19-2016, 06:33 AM
That gear is keyed to the shaft that drives it. i have used a miniature roller head bar to get under the gear, a bent screwdriver with a sharp blade will also work. be sure to check gear for burrs if you re-use it. Luck Doofus

Aussie Hawk
09-19-2016, 06:42 AM
I have the pump off the 170 cid I'm sectioning if you want some pics, I managed to slide the drive gear off the shaft and levered the 'horseshoe' clip of with a screw driver.