Reclining Seat Mechanism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Reclining Seat Mechanism

So in my 62 gt hawk I am having a problem where the passenger seat just wants to sit in recline, and will not sit up, in fact it wont go forward at all, so I have the side mechanism apart and it seems to be an issue with the middle pivit and probably needs replacing. Does anybody know where I can find peices of the mechanism to replace the current ones with, also I am trying to wrap my head around how it is supposed to work so that I can fix it properly. Anybody care to enlighten me. Thanks

Phil Harris probably has the part(s) you're looking for and SI would also.

Ted

Comment

All Studebaker Parts that are still available, and there are a LOT, can only be found at Studebaker Vendors, they can be found at: studebakervendors.com Yes all Reclining Seat parts are available.

You need to get the Book form or CD ROM form '59 to '64 Studebaker Shop manual and Body and Chassis Parts Catalogs also available at Studebaker Vendors then you will understand what you are dealing with.

By the way, never GREASE the Sliding Gear, or Circumferential Gear (Housing) they work on friction and will slip.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks guys, yea i need to get my hands on a shop manual, that would be a good start. And I know not to grease the mechanism, as my grandpa always said, dont grease it unless you want it to move, I dont want my seat to move

Comment

Thanks again guys, this was a really easy fix, really easy fix, after replacing the broken pieces and putting it all back together it worked like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by semaj4712 View Post
            Thanks again guys, this was a really easy fix, really easy fix, after replacing the broken pieces and putting it all back together it worked like a charm.
            I realize that this reply is long after-the-fact, but thought I'd mention that some early '60s American Motors products with reclining buckets seats used the same mechanism. Years ago, I salvaged some reclining seat parts off wrecked American Motors in one of our local wrecking yards for use on my Studebakers. ~ Dale

Comment

Working...
            X