X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 differential gear options/source

Ok,

thanks!
    I have now confirmed that I have a 4.11.
    If I were drag racing with James Dean, I would be thrilled.

But this will be a highway cruiser...

What are the readily available lower gear ratios?
    What are the sources?

thanks!
    terry

Terry,
    1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065 http://sterkel.org/avanti
    1985 Kubota L2202 (Diesel)
    2000 VW Jetta GLS
    2003 VW Jetta TDI (Diesel) http://sterkel.org/tdi

Well Terry,
    You are in luck because this differential is still being built for many applications, so gears and stuff are available.
    There is a carrier case change at 3.73 (or 3.93?) to keep the ring gear near the pinion...
    2.73 3.07 3.31 3.54 3.73 3.93 4.10 4.27 4.88 5.30 5.38 (according to the gear suppliers website)

With an overdrive transmission, you could possible go as low (high numerically) as a 4.10, but for realistic cruising with a 1:1 trans final drive ratio (4th in a 4 speed, Drive in an a/t) you'd probably want to stick to a 3.54 max and more like a 3.31 if you are rural.
    Spinning a 259 or 289 to 3300 rpm on the expressway for hours on end gets a little annoying.
    There are a lot of Stude vendors that can help you out:

WEBRING covers the entire spectrum of tech and brings its readers closer to the world of digital experience.

Or try doing a web search on Google.. Put in Dana 44 gears
    Hope the info helps.
    Jeff[8D]

[quote]Originally posted by tsterkel

Ok,
    thanks!
    I have now confirmed that I have a 4.11.
    If I were drag racing with James Dean, I would be thrilled.
    But this will be a highway cruiser...
    What are the readily available lower gear ratios?
    What are the sources?
    thanks!
    terry

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
    '37 Coupe Express
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer
    '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sasco has recently had a 3:31 and 3:54 on e-bay for $50. Don't know if they've sold or not. Call them. The 3:31 would probably be your best bet for highway,but as Deepnhockk says,that will require a different carrier too.

Home of the Almostahawk
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The 3.54 is a good compromise gearset for a 1/1 final drive tranny. Gives decent getaway and not so bad hiway cruising. As has been said tho, you'll need a differrent "carrier" for 3.73 and numerically lower gearsets.
        It would be nice to just find a whole rear axle you could just swap. Thing is, the Avanti rear has the "ears" to accept the traction bars. (not that they couldn't be transferred , of course.[}])

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hey Terry,

I'd trade you my rear axle assembly straight up for yours .
          I have the assembly you need for the lower numerical gear sets and the R&P in it is a 3.07 with an open diff.

Let me know if you're interested.

Tom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

The 3.54 is a good compromise gearset for a 1/1 final drive tranny.
            I have a 3:54 in my '54 with a close ratio (2.20) low T-10. It's a little difficult to launch gracefully with the high low gear (sounds like an oxymoron) and the 3:54. It really needs 3.93's or better for that trany. OTOH, 3:54's on the highway isn't the best set up...way too high revs compared to today's cars. Needs 3.07's. With that said, Biggs is right (again[^]). 3.54 is probably the best compromise...but it certainly is a compromise.

If you have an automatic and want to keep it stock and your ONLY concern is highway, take up Tom's offer. If you don't want to keep it stock, take up Tom's offer AND install either a TH700R4 or a TH2004R. If you have a close ratio 4 speed, keep the 4:11's and focus on street racing[}]. If you have a wide ratio 4 speed (2.54 low), 3.31's are about it for a decent launch and 3.54's would be better. If you have a 4 speed but don't care about originality, install one of the newer 5 (or 6) speed trans. There is info on the SDC site on this conversion and several threads on this forum devoted to these swaps...or install a Hone or Gear Vendors OD behind the 4 speed.

-Dick-
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Just to be clear.

* 289 R2 Avanti
              * Standard 4 transmission, 4th is 1:1
              * wish to stay stock
              * Want to do "Easy Rider" with Peter Fonda, and not all that
              interested in "Rebel without a Cause" with James Dean,
              so I am looking for low RPMs at 75 MPH.
              * I am assuming that that is 3.31, comments please

Question, comments please:

I see this on eBay:
              Up for auction is a slightly used 3.31 ratio gear set (Ring and Pinion) for a Dana 44 diffirential. Tooth count is 43-13 and they are Dana Spicer brand. They have almost no wear and are in excellent shape

Thanks!

Terry,
              2000 VW Jetta GLS

Comment

Man,
                I am pining over that Gear Vendors OD for my pickup...
                Imagine turning your 3 speed auto trans into an o/d 6 speed...
                They have put a great electronics package in that to allow you to do gear splitting (Low 1, high, 1, low 2, high 2, low 3, o'd 3)..
                And I wouldn't have to re-engineer anything....Driveshaft work and some minor fitment...
                Sure, $2700 is steep, but so is a 200R4, or 700R4 swap..
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                <snip>
                or install a Hone or Gear Vendors OD behind the 4 speed.
                -Dick-
                DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                '37 Coupe Express
                '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by tsterkel

Just to be clear.

* 289 R2 Avanti
                  * wish to stay stock

I see this on eBay:
                  Up for auction is a slightly used 3.31 ratio gear set (Ring and Pinion) for a Dana 44 diffirential. Tooth count is 43-13 and they are Dana Spicer brand. They have almost no wear and are in excellent shape

Thanks!

Terry,
                  2000 VW Jetta GLS
                  Terry,
                  Determine if you have a close ratio T-10 4 speed (2.20 low) or a wide ratio (2.54 low). With a close ratio, you will not get the car moving too easily with the 3.31 rear end. You'll go through a lot of clutches. The wide ratio with a 3.31 ratio is "marginal" IMHO. It will be easier to get it rolling, but not great. With a 3.31 in top gear, you will be turning about 3200 RPM's...hardly the low RPM's I think you are looking for. Take your current combination out on the highway in high gear to 3200 RPM's. If that's OK with you, then go for the 3.31's. If not, rethink what you want (and/or need). An R2 Avanti with a 4 speed and a 4.11 rear end is pretty gosh durn neat . (It would be the combination of my choice). Just not the greatest highway cruiser. People that wanted highway cruiser Avanti's in 63-64 bought automatic R1's with 3.07's.

-Dick-
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Terry, figure out what you want your rpm range to be at 75 mph. Take the gear ratio and multiply it by 75 mph and 336. Then divide that number by your tire size. The formula looks like this: Ex: (4.1 x 75 x 336)/(31)=3332 rpms. (This is my gear ratio for my pickup)
                    Right now with our R2 Avanti with the T-10 and 3.31 I can easily start out in 2nd gear, sometimes 3rd and maybe even in 4th. I have done it before. It does need an overdrive when on the highway and it could use a lower first gear.
                    Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

Comment

Just to be clear.

* 289 R2 Avanti
                      * wish to stay stock

I see this on eBay:

Thanks!

Terry,
                      2000 VW Jetta GLS

Comment

Lower number gearset will give you a lower RPM at the same cruising speed. i.e. a 3.31:1 will have lower RPM at the same speed than a 3.54:1. What is the "right" gearset for you depends on your personal preference, but it sounds to me like you probably want either a 3.07, 3.31, or 3.54.

Don't forget to change your speedo drive gear when you're done.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

With gear ratios, I can only relate how my Daytona was equiped. The car had a 289 2-V, a wide ratio 4-speed, and an open 3.07 (Dana 44). While I don't know the 'clutch history' of the car, the odometer read at least 136K. That being the case, I can't imagine there is a big problem launching the car from a dead stop.

Don't take this as personal experience, but I've started coming across a few V-8 cars (non-R models) with 4-speeds and 3.07 or 3.31 final drives (shows, etc.). At 3200 lbs, it's not an extremely light car, but I can't imagine there was a problem getting the car moving.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I have a 3.31:1 with 4-speed (all factory) in my '62 Lark; with a 289 it is not too bad so I imagine it would also be OK with an Avanti engine. It does take a little more clutch slip to get going than a modern car with a deeper 1st gear but it is not too bad.

nate

--
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            62 Daytona hardtop
                            --
                            55 Commander Starlight
                            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I PUT THE GEAR VENDORS O.D. IN MY T BUCKET AND DROPPED THE R.P.M.'S FROM THREE THOUSAND AT SIXTY M.P.H. TO TWENTY-THREE HUNDRED. REAL EASY TO INSTALL AND YOU GIVE THEM YOUR TIRE O.D. AND AXLE RATIO AND THEY'LL SHIP IT WITH RIGHT SPEEDO. GEAR. CHAMP

Comment

Working...
                              X