Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Seats from GT to Lark?

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

If you were closer, I have a decent front bench seat core from a '60 Lark. It needs padding and a cover though, so I doubt it's any condition that would do you any good.

Slightly related note, you should post some pics of your Acclaim seat installation. I used to own an Acclaim, and I wouldn't mind putting a set in my '60 If I could make them fit.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

I've got the original seats that are structurally good, just need recovering. I intended to have Jim Lawrence redo them for me, but he's booked pretty far out plus he's 400 miles away. Not to mention its hard to spend almost what the whole car's worth on just the seats.....

I'll get a couple pics of the red seats up next week. You'll see why I want them out
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bob, I had GT Hawk front buckets in my '58 Commander 4 door, which is essentially the same body tub as your Lark. Same reasoning as you.. The bench seat was shot and I had a decent set of buckets.

I had to modify the console bracket to work around the heater core in the floor, and had to drill holes to mount it. Other than that, the seats worked fine.

Comment

To simplify things, install the Hawk buckets without the console.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob, the Hawk and Lark console bracket are a little different. The seats in my Lark are Hawk seats, so I know the seats will work for sure. I have an extra Lark console bracket laying around if you want it.
            Last edited by Kurt; 06-30-2012, 12:39 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
              Bob, the Hawk and Lark console bracket are a little different. The seats in my Lark are Hawk seats, so I know the seats will work for sure. I have an extra Lark console bracket laying around if you want it.
              Thats it just get the right floor bracket from a lark and then every thing will go right in, lark seats will not just go right in a hawk for some reason the seats are narrower.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Ugh. Tried the rear seat and it's not even close, in width or shape. Kinda seems silly to put in the black and white front seats and leave the red back seat.

Back to the drawing board.

BTW, here's the red ones, as promised:

Click image for larger version

Name:	larkRdSeatF.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1674767Click image for larger version

Name:	larkRdSeatR.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1674768
                Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I don't think that any of us even implied that you could use the rear seat. We, at least I, have only been talking about the front buckets.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Leave the red seats in untl you get something better. They look comfortable and supportive. I have owned Studebakers that were factory green with factory red interior.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      I don't think that any of us even implied that you could use the rear seat. We, at least I, have only been talking about the front buckets.
                      I didn't say anyone did; but nobody said otherwise. I asked if the seats (plural) would fit, since the red is so ugly. Naturally, that would include the rear in the question; and no one said it wouldn't. So my plan of attack today was to try that first.

Obviously, black and white buckets with a red rear seat isn't worth doing.
                      Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

By "seats (plural)", I took it to mean left and right bucket seats. Sometimes written communication can be a funny thing. No harm. I am glad that you tried the rear seat first, before installing the buckets.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

How about some J.C. Whitney seat covers for the red seats that are already in the car?
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks, Roy, that's a good idea. But seat covers were what I tried first. They don't stay on and are a PITA, and the ones I found were even uglier than red seats in a green Lark<G>

At least the red seats are super-comfortable. I spent a little time positioning them just right and they feel great; and even the rear seat fits fairly well. Just wish I could find them in the trademark MoPar gray.LOL
                            Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                            X