PDA

View Full Version : Body: 62 GT Hawk rear grille attachment "nails"

hirtedar
06-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Does anyone know where I can obtain the top row nails for the rear grille? In checking the 59-64 factory body catalog, these are not shown, only the grille. It is as if the grille was attached by magic I guess.
One of these nails survived the rust and damage on the original lid and it is a "T" shaped nail. These slide into the aluminum clips which are part of the rear grille.
As a note, I saved the original grille on the car - had little choice as this is apparently one of those parts no one wants to re-tool. Current asking price for a NOS mint grille is close to $1000. Unreal. Since my car is a driver, not for show, it brings into focus the increasing problem of price inflation for scarce parts, primarily body parts.
There have also been comments on the Forum about trunk lids being readily available. My experience is it's almost impossible to find a decent lid that doesnt have extensive damage. I ended up keeping one I bought from S-I for almost $400 (the last one I was told) and working with the damage. Since the lid is rust-prone and easily damaged, take care of your lid!!
Any help on the nails is appreciated.

63 R2 Hawk
06-29-2012, 11:20 AM
I think I remember an NOS '63 GT trunk panel selling recently on ebay for somewhere around $1500! Mine is attached with brass screws and nuts by a PO but the nuts inside the trunk are nearly impossible to access and I think there may be a collection of them inside the rear lip on the deck lid. I have a pretty decent panel I'm going to use to replace the OK one on my car some day, I'd like to figure out a better way to attach it if you have any ideas.

JoeHall
06-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Access to the upper corner nuts for GTs seems an issue that may be explainable. A GT owner at this year's SB swap meet asked me how I got those nuts in place on my GT, and said his was near impossible to install. We compared trunks from the inside, and mine has about 2" holes in the inner layer, allowing easy access to those nuts. His did not have the holes. SO it appears those holes may be a difference between GT trunks and 57-61s. The good news is, it is easy to make a GT trunk out of a 57-61, but not as easy for visa-versa. But then, who would care (except a well informed judge maybe) about the un-needed/ "incorrect" holes in a 57-61 Hawk.
Long story short, if you need better access to the upper corner nuts for the GT trunk overlay, drill a 2" hole over the nut area.
Joe

JoeHall
06-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Does anyone know where I can obtain the top row nails for the rear grille? In checking the 59-64 factory body catalog, these are not shown, only the grille. It is as if the grille was attached by magic I guess.
One of these nails survived the rust and damage on the original lid and it is a "T" shaped nail. These slide into the aluminum clips which are part of the rear grille.
As a note, I saved the original grille on the car - had little choice as this is apparently one of those parts no one wants to re-tool. Current asking price for a NOS mint grille is close to $1000. Unreal. Since my car is a driver, not for show, it brings into focus the increasing problem of price inflation for scarce parts, primarily body parts.
There have also been comments on the Forum about trunk lids being readily available. My experience is it's almost impossible to find a decent lid that doesnt have extensive damage. I ended up keeping one I bought from S-I for almost $400 (the last one I was told) and working with the damage. Since the lid is rust-prone and easily damaged, take care of your lid!!

Classic Enterprises was selling repro "nails" a few years ago, and I believe they still have them.

R2Andrea
06-29-2012, 11:05 PM
The deck lid overlay came with those fasteners attached. The fasteners are called T bolts and aren't listed in the body parts catalog. SI has some in stock in South Bend. BTW, the number/description in the current SI catalog is incorrect.

GTHawk
06-30-2012, 11:47 AM

On the GT Hawk I purchased at aution last Fall, the rear grill was fastened by four screws, one in each corner. The screws were located in the indented black areas of the grill. They were painted black and were not readily noticable. Also I painted all the recessed black, as much of the paint was gone, by painting the whole grill and then using a block of wood with a thin cloth soaked with thinner to remove all paint from the raised polished squares.

candbstudebakers
06-30-2012, 05:36 PM
the rear over lay can be put on with the new stick on double face tape, when ever I come on a good GT trunk lid I make a 57-61 out of it if it has good ribs. one with bad ribs can be covered with the over lay. good over lays are getting hard to come by, the 64 trunk lid is the best might not be right but better (my opinion)

hirtedar
07-01-2012, 02:23 PM
On the GT Hawk I purchased at aution last Fall, the rear grill was fastened by four screws, one in each corner. The screws were located in the indented black areas of the grill. They were painted black and were not readily noticable. Also I painted all the recessed black, as much of the paint was gone, by painting the whole grill and then using a block of wood with a thin cloth soaked with thinner to remove all paint from the raised polished squares.

FortunatelY I have only a few of the indents needing paint. I dont think I would be so brave to paint the whole thing and wipe it off - but if it worked for you, great!
I dont thiink the four screw fitting was original, probably someone looked at the installation problem and said "I'll fix this" - if a judge says NG ask HIM to try and install it!

GTHawk
07-01-2012, 05:41 PM
FortunatelY I have only a few of the indents needing paint. I dont think I would be so brave to paint the whole thing and wipe it off - but if it worked for you, great!
I dont thiink the four screw fitting was original, probably someone looked at the installation problem and said "I'll fix this" - if a judge says NG ask HIM to try and install it!

The previous owner installed the four screws as a simple way to correct the problem. I suggested this as an alternative if the nails are not available. Even if a concours judge sees the screws it is only a 2 point decuction. In the stock division we do not like to see modifications but if you really want to lower your cost. this is a small one.

jimmijim8
07-02-2012, 06:49 AM
S.I. has thet bolts. It takes 13 total per overly. There has been much tech info previously posted by me and others about this subject. If you want some over the phone info just send me a PM. cheers jimmijim

hirtedar
07-02-2012, 09:30 AM
The previous owner installed the four screws as a simple way to correct the problem. I suggested this as an alternative if the nails are not available. Even if a concours judge sees the screws it is only a 2 point decuction. In the stock division we do not like to see modifications but if you really want to lower your cost. this is a small one.

Thanks for the input. I think I will get the nails from S-I and use double sided 3M tape on the bottom as suggested in this thread as well as by several body shop guys

hirtedar
07-02-2012, 09:33 AM
the rear over lay can be put on with the new stick on double face tape, when ever I come on a good GT trunk lid I make a 57-61 out of it if it has good ribs. one with bad ribs can be covered with the over lay. good over lays are getting hard to come by, the 64 trunk lid is the best might not be right but better (my opinion)

"Correctness" aside I agree the 64 trunk lid is the best but I had no luck trying to find one so settled on a NOS lid from S-I in poor condition. Certainly looks good on your 64

erniebrown
10-07-2012, 12:28 AM
I completely repainted my 62 trunk overlay-I took the correct width pin stripe and taped off the entire overlay. Used masking tape for the large areas. Painted the entire overlay and let it dry forever and 30 minutes. Carefully removed the tape and used 0000 steel wool and sanded the entire unit. . . I attached it with double back tape and flat head stainless screws. Before I used the screws I painted them with high gloss finger nail polish. After setting them, I reprinted the screws and most people never see them. The finger nail polish filled in the screws head nicely. . and that's how I did it. .

erniebrown
10-07-2012, 12:29 AM
I repainted the heads of the screws after setting them!