PDA

View Full Version : Engine: Valve covers 245 cu in.

Frank DuVal
06-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Finally getting around to working on the 1950 Commander. Starting with the leaking valve covers.

First question. Where the bolts go through the covers, is the area the copper washers sit (seal) supposed to be dimpled in (like mine) or flat? I am used to straightening the bolt areas on OHV covers and oil pans, but I have no previous knowledge of what these flat head valve covers look like undisturbed.

Second, I am need of two valve cover bolts, p/n 9-0552. A previous owner installed two 5/16-18 x 3 1/2" regular bolts. Without copper washers/seals. No wonder it leaked... I cannot find the original bolts in vendor stock.

Third, in getting to this area, we removed the manifold assembly. The rear stud was missing the nut and clamp. That's the triangular clamp p/n 168594. I also cannot find these in vendor stock.

Anyone parting out a 245 engine and want to sell these small parts?

That's not the Royal "we" above, my daughter is helping me with this car!

christophe
06-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Hi Frank,

If you have already checked with the usual vendors. Don't forget to ask to Graham Gagne http://www.kgworks.ca/studeparts/index.html(kg.works@xplornet.ca). He has a lot of parts and has been very useful to me.
Best of luck.

Christophe

skyway
06-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Have you asked Tom K, who sells out of that BIG blue brand X schoolbus?
If not, someone will be able to post Tom's contact info.