1961 Brochure Cover photo background

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Brochure Cover photo background

Does anyone know where the photo was taken? It shows a flamingo colored Lark convertible, at night, speeding past a lighted theater marquee. It is blurred but it could say "State" on the marquee. Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm sure you mean this one, Quentin:

'Pretty sure it is of South Bend origin, but we'd better hold off until "The Local Authorities" pronounce judgement! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like the State Theater located at 214 S. Michigan St. here in South Bend. The building still stands and has various tennants including a restraurant and several niteclubs. Or did the last time I was down there.
      R2Andrea

Comment

140 miles south in Indianapolis, they didn't do too bad, either.

From the September 1961 Studebaker News:

Sadly, by the time this picture was published, I think Bob Phillips Studebaker at 3103 Lafayette Road on Indianapolis' west side, was out of business. 1961 had been a tough year for the team, and I don't think member Bob Phillips survived into the 1962 model year.

Bob Phillips Jr., President of the dealership, is the second fellow from the front, wearing glasses. BP
        Last edited by BobPalma; 06-30-2012, 07:19 AM. Reason: added identification
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You guy's are not helping my addiction to the 61 Convertible.

Here's a Google Earth image looking UP I'm sure someone could scroll down the street and get a more realistic photo that mimic's the brochure. Thanks R2Andy!
          Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 08-05-2012, 12:18 PM.
          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Bob and Andy- That's the photo I was referencing. Nice photo of the Allstars, too. It looks like Bob Phillips was right in there fighting for the home team! (Studebaker, that is!)

Comment

Great photo, ChopStu. Nice to see the Marquee is still there! Awesome building and it made a nice backdrop for an awesome car. Thanks for posting!

Comment

In a Kevin Bacon kind of way.....

I remember going to the IM in South Bend in 1971 (IIRC)...
                Anyways, there was this movie that was all the rage at the time...
                Went to that theater (well, I'm pretty sure it was that theater) and watched the movie with a high school friend of mine.
                We both came out and wondered why we wasted good time and money on a road trip...
                Funny how this place churns up memories...even if useless memories
                Jeff
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

'Way cool on that google earth image, Kevin. I had no idea the theater survived, much less with that sign intact.

Wouldn't it be cool if someone brought a Flamingo 1961 convertible to the IM and did their darndest to replicate that photo?

I wonder if the signage still works, though. BP

Comment

It's just a couple blocks from the host, I plan on photographing day/night if any flamingo lark owner would like to try recreating I'm game. Maybe Craig has some tips. That brochure lark is lit well.

Jeff I have some similar wasted experiences when it comes to movies by M. Knight Shamalan (sic?) what a waste.
                    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

First advice is get out the water buckets and get the road wet like on the brochure, and just be sure that isn't the street that is/was turned into a "pedestrian-only" mall in later years.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                        Thanks Bob and Andy- That's the photo I was referencing. Nice photo of the Allstars, too. It looks like Bob Phillips was right in there fighting for the home team! (Studebaker, that is!)
                        You're welcome, Quentin.

I got to thinking, I wonder what happened to those four convertibles. Bob Phillips was a small dealer, even by Indianapolis standards.

The picture was taken mid-June and he was out of business, AFAIK, a couple months later. I can't imagine him having sold FOUR 1961 convertibles in that time frame, so I bet the Zone Office found them and sent them to Indianapolis for his use in that promotion. BP

Comment

Good memory Craig. That part of Michigan St. was pedestrian only for a number of years. But it's long since been converted back for thru traffic.
                          R2Andrea

Comment

The State is the one that just came under new ownership. As of right now, it has no tennants but is going to get fixed up and become a theater again; at least according to the new owner and the news.
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                              The State is the one that just came under new ownership. As of right now, it has no tennants but is going to get fixed up and become a theater again; at least according to the new owner and the news.
                              Well, Chris, tell the new owners to at least get the sign working by the end of July and some "cool" photo re-creations might be attempted.

Someone up there has to know somebody in the Fire Dept who would hose down a portion of the street if the State sign was illuminated.

(Wait a minute; we'd better be sure someone here posts that they will have a Flamingo 1961 convertible at the meet, or know of one that's coming!) BP

Comment

Working...
                              X