PDA

View Full Version : Special Avanti Exhibit International Meet - R1004 & R5643

Avantict
06-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I have been working to have the last Studebaker Avanti R5643 and a very early Avanti R1004 on exhibit at the upcoming national meet. Both cars require transportation from their current locations to South Bend and Back. Museums are involved so an offer of someone picking up the cars and returning with their trailers while appreciated cannot happen. Professional transporters are a condition of getting the cars. I feel these significant cars (R1001 is not and will not be ready, R1002 is currently undergoing restoration, R1003 I believe is off the road) should be a part of this celebration.
I'm soliciting contributions to offset the cost of transporting these two Avantis to and from South Bend.

If you are in a position to contribute and agree the cars should be there please send me an email and let me know what you can contribute. Upon receipt of your email to me I will provide more information.

PS Both the AOAI and the SDC are maxed out on costs for this meet so I'm doing this on my own.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

avantifromct@aol.com
John Hull

studegary
06-27-2012, 03:18 PM
This sounds like a noble effort. I don't think that 5643 has been out of the Cleveland area for many years. I could pick it up on my way through Cleveland if they let me drive it <G>. Seriously, It seems like the Studebaker National Museum's truck and enclosed trailer could be used for this purpose. It seems like one museum would trust another auto museum with transport and insurance. Fuel for the SNM truck and tolls may be the only expenses that would have to be reimbursed. SNM has loaned other museums their vehicles and used their own truck and trailer for transport.

Avantict
06-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Not an option SNM is full up with cars and resource uses. Thanks for suggestion but already explored. If this is going to happen its because we think its important enough to pony up.

Silverplate
06-27-2012, 06:00 PM
R1004 was in Fort Lauderdale last I knew. Is it somewheer else now? I believe the same folks own R1002 which is under restoration.

www.motorcargallery.com/vin1004.html

Avantict
06-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Silence is deafening. Any help would be appreciated. Again at a minimum R5643 is THE LAST STUDEBAKER AVANTI PRODUCED IN SOUTH BEND. Would love to have it at meet.

studegary
06-30-2012, 02:21 PM
I have been inside of and under the hood of R5643 many times when Joe E. owned it, so it is not a draw to me. I am sure that the vast majority of those attending the International Convention this year have never even seen this original R3 Avanti. They should be the ones banding together to raise the necessary funds. Have you looked into the Studebaker discount at Peg Trucking? The Avanti only has to go about 250 miles each way. Of course, timing of the move is important. Just letting you know what I am thinking and keeping this subject active.

Bill Pressler
07-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Seems a shame that with an enclosed trailer, the SNM wouldn't be interested in bringing number 5643 to be in their display. I've seen the car many times and it is indeed a beauty and one of the most historic Avantis, being an R3 and the last Studebaker-built example. I seem to remember that there was a note in the glovebox signed by assembly line workers at South Bend.

Green53
07-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Greg Cone has reassembled the R5 engine from the Due Cento and was planning to bring it for display but the museum showed no interest in having it for the meet. Not sure if he will bring it.

Denny L

stupak
07-01-2012, 02:26 PM
The SNM 'showed no interest in having it for the meet'???? Are you kidding? Is this 'our' museum, the one we support with our memberships and donations? Do they not realize the significance of the R5? Immediately after posting this message, I will email the SNM for clarification. stupak

Avantict
07-09-2012, 02:07 PM
In the home stretch in raising funds to have R5643 at the meet. Please join other Studebaker and Avanti owners who have stepped up to have this historically significant Avanti at the meet. Please send me an email if you can contribute anything to making this happen.

avantifromct@aol.com

John Hull

Bill Pressler
07-15-2012, 12:14 PM
John, sent you an email. It's hard to think of many more historically-significant, and preserved-as-original, Avantis than R-5643. This would be a perfect opportunity to have this car in South Bend, since we'll be (among other things) celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Avanti.

Hawklover
07-15-2012, 04:38 PM
That being said and fully understood..........how much 'skin' do you have in the 'game'.
Not an option SNM is full up with cars and resource uses. Thanks for suggestion but already explored. If this is going to happen its because we think its important enough to pony up.

Corvanti
07-15-2012, 04:47 PM
That being said and fully understood..........how much 'skin' do you have in the 'game'.

have you ever been to the AOAI (Avanti) forum? the yahoo groups for Avanti? Read Mr. Hull's books? :mad:

that is all!!!

DEEPNHOCK
07-15-2012, 05:06 PM
The SNM 'showed no interest in having it for the meet'???? Are you kidding? Is this 'our' museum, the one we support with our memberships and donations? Do they not realize the significance of the R5? Immediately after posting this message, I will email the SNM for clarification. stupak

You do know that, museum business, in general, has little to do with the contents, don't you?

studegary
07-15-2012, 05:07 PM

Perhaps you should re-read the initial post. Also, John is the President of AOAI and a former officer of Avanti Motors.