No announcement yet.

Does anyone know where these wires go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Does anyone know where these wires go?

I have two errant sets of wires on the Hawk, I think the front set go to the horn, any ideas on them?
    (what they connect to)
    Attached Files

I can not really see the wires in question but sure do like the hood prop.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

I don't know where they go but when I need to trace wires I bring out my trusty tone generator and inductive probe.

It's similar to this pair of instruments:

These are usually used to trace phone lines and network cables through walls and between floors but it works great on automotive circuits. You clip the generator onto the wire end and it sends a tone down the wire (sounds like "doodle-doodle-doodle") and you wander around with the probe until you find where it comes out on the other side of the firewall or by the fuses. I've lent this to another Stude guy to trace wires from one end of a bus to the other (he works for the MTC here repairing bus air conditioners). I just used it this weekend to find where the solonoid that controlled my electric fan was hiding. I found the parted wire and fixed it all in about 15 minutes.

They are kinda spendy so see if you have a friend in the computer network biz and borrow one for the afternoon.

Comment

What color are they and what year is your hawk?

I've got a Stude/Pack wiring diagram for my P.H. I can't imagine they made many changes. If you can tell me what color they are I can probably help.
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Nice, sturdy hood prop!!!
          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

From the engine colors and the older style heater, it looks like you have a '62 Hawk. One of the wires leading to the front, besides one or two for the horns, could be for the parking light on that side. The car should have a large fan shroud behind the radiator with a set of wires running over the top of it, and that would be quite important for keeping the engine cool (by allowing the fan to drive air through the radiator at idle or low speeds). Without being able to see the connector(s) on the ends, I'm not sure what the wires are next to the battery. Your starter solenoid looks like it's hooked up, but not sure; there should be wires with press-on connectors connected to two small terminals, in addition to the large cables leading to the battery and starter. Another possibility is that they are the 2 wires for the brake light switch, which is on the frame below the battery.
            Gene Nagle
            1963 Hawk R1
            1985 Avanti

Comment

Guys it's a 60 Hawk, I'll get better info this weekend

oh, and the prop rod is aftermarket!

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                What color are they and what year is your hawk?

I've got a Stude/Pack wiring diagram for my P.H. I can't imagine they made many changes. If you can tell me what color they are I can probably help.
                Hello Mike, the one set is all white (very greasy) and the other set is green black and white, got some close up pics also.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  I can not really see the wires in question but sure do like the hood prop.
                  got some new pics, wires are white one set, and the others are: white black and green.

hood prop is aftermarket!

Comment

Working...
                  X