Fender skirts on Studebaker sedans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender skirts on Studebaker sedans?

I know this is an odd question, but has anyone ever seen fender skirts on any Studebaker >sedan< after 1955?

I think they look 'okay' on a 55 President when it is loaded up with chrome and doodads anyway, and in a nice two-tone blue and so forth, although they (the non factory Foxcrofts) were starting to look just a bit odd on the Coupes by 55.

I like the look on a 2 door 59 Lark hardtop, especially if the Lark is black or dark red.

No, I'm thinking about the 56-58 sedans (the lost years). Somehow I thought that with that rear quarter detail, it might work, although it likely wouldn't light up most eyes.

Anyone ever seen one with them installed from an aftermarket supplier? Really, I got asked about them today for 56-58 sedans, and its got me wondering...

Hi

I have never seen a '56-'58 sedan-series car fitted with a set of fender skirts in years of looking. Assume that none were ever offer for them by any aftermarket maker.

I would like to modify a set made for a '55 President or an aftermarket set for another maker, Fords look closest, to not only skirt the wheelhouse opening but also to overlap within the area bounded by the sweeping character line that trails off behind. I've sketched it, it looks very nice, would give a President Classic an even more upscale appearance.

Steve

Comment

Interesting query. I would like to get a pair for my 57 Champion. Haven't been able to find any. I also thought that Ford fender skirts might match. Then; everyone thinks that mine looks like a 57 Chevy--maybe we should look in that direction? Jim, interesting that you refer to the '56-'58's as "the lost years!"
      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Some years ago, I took a pair of rear quarters to a local place that was making things like skirts, flares and the like - outta glass. They told me it would be a certain number of weeks (months?) before they could get to making patterns to turn out skirts from. Time went on and after a year I went there to see what was what. The quarters were BURIED in the storage shed - damaged too. No apologies, nuthin. Just "Here they are man. No, they were bent like that when you left them here! Sorry we never got to them."
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Here's a sedan. I'd like to find a source for a pair for my 63 Daytona hardtop.

Comment

Originally posted by Effie View Post
            Here's a sedan. I'd like to find a source for a pair for my 63 Daytona hardtop.
            Anyone know where I can get that visor for the 60 wagon? Or have more pics on the sedan!
            1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
              Anyone know where I can get that visor for the 60 wagon? Or have more pics on the sedan!
              occasionally an adjustable (for width) one will pop up on ebay, but are usually for earlier models with split windshields.

i wonder if one of these could be modified(?) -

(sorry for post drift!)...
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

the car with the visor is in Australia, from the club website.

Comment

Originally posted by Effie View Post
                  the car with the visor is in Australia, from the club website.
                  And if you have ever visited the land down under during their summer, you will understand why those visors were so popular back in the day...

Comment

To: JimB PEI,----Rear skirts can give a vehicle a unique, almost custom look. I run them on My '55 HT. Just make sure the tail of Your car is lowered a bit...that's the secret to success! A car with rear skirts
                    installed that sits 'tail high' looks horrible. (In My opinion)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      To: JimB PEI,----Rear skirts can give a vehicle a unique, almost custom look. I run them on My '55 HT. Just make sure the tail of Your car is lowered a bit...that's the secret to success! A car with rear skirts
                      installed that sits 'tail high' looks horrible. (In My opinion)
                      I quite agree with your opinion. (now with the roofline dipping down on the 59 Lark hardtop and the cutoff rear, they make 'visual' sense even if not lowered--if slightly less so on that 63 Australian Lark.) Not having a 55 close at hand to cross check, does anyone know if the wheel opening on one differs from the 56-58 rear quarter? I can't quite imagine putting them on my own 57s myself.

Actually, most Studebakers including the one the owner posed this question about, would look just fine with skirts if you remove the 'rear spring helpers'. No need to purposely lower them as such <g> I suppose all I can do is to direct him to the fibreglass skirt places and try his luck.

THREAD DRIFT: I would like to get one of those Australian/New Zealand sun visors, either the shaded plexiglass or the paintable/chrome metal mesh type.

Comment

Looks like the Aussie sedan is also decked out with a sun roof, as well as additional geegaws and doodads which, while not necessarily improving its appearance, certainly add a vestige of character.
                        Nor would I downplay the white roof. I'm sure it reflects a lot of heat away from the interior.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

HI TO ALL YOU FANS OF ADD ON PARTS

The 1962 Lark Sedan that is in Sydney Australia belongs to Darryn Fisher .

Darryn is the Son of Dale Fisher who is a pioneer in Australia of Custom Cars .

I guess Darryn inhereted his liking of the "Custom" look from his Father .

The rear fender skirts that are on the subject car were hand made by Dale .

Dale has also made skirts for '63 and '64 Larks as well as skirts for Hawks .

The top of windscreen sun shade is an 'original' that was commercially made
                          in the Sixties to suit Lark vehicles with other variants made for other cars .

At one time years ago , you couldn't give the sunshades away , but now
                          there seems to be a bit of nostalgia , so they are sought after again . It
                          doesn't hurt that it can get very hot out here at times .

Studebaker, Car Club, New South Wales, NSW, Pierce-Arrow, Champion, Commander, Cruiser, Lark, Director, Dictator, Wagonaire, Golden Hawk, Silver Hawk, Power Hawk, Avanti, Raymond Lowey, Erskine, Conestoga, Garford, Rockne, M29 Weasel, Speedster, Scotsman, Land Cruiser, Big Six, Special Six, Light Six, President, GT, Gran Turismo, E.M.F. Starlight, South Bend.

The listed web site will take you to the home of Studebakers in N.S.W.
                          If you click on "gallery" you should get some 'pictures' of various cars
                          so if you click on each picture , you will get more shots of each car .

Trust that this information is helpful .

CRUISER

Comment

Here is an Australian Champ with the same type of visor...

Comment

This is probably the best place to find both the fender skirts and visors...
                              Send them an e-mail, as they have a lot of stuff not listed in their website.
                              Jeff

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X